Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh off the farm then fresh off the Egg

Options
Chicklet
Chicklet Posts: 205
My SO's family gave us some new cuts this past weekend.  I also just bought a cast iron plate setter.  I wanted to try some steaks tonight so we rubbed up some sirloin and some ribeye cuts.  I also had some venison tenderloin medallions I threw on to try.  

For the beef, I just used some Dizzy Pig Red Eye rub.  I think the sirloin cut tasted much better with this rub.  It seemed to absorb the rub a little better.  The ribeyes weren't as great but still very tasty. I brought my dome temp up to around 600+ then threw the steaks on for two minutes on each side then dropped my temp quickly for a few more minutes.  

I marinated the venison in some Moore's and S&P and that's really it.  They were actually really good but dried out pretty quickly once we took them off.  Next time I try the venison I may wrap them in foil to retain some of the moisture a little more.  

Not a bad dinner for our first steaks on the Egg.  
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Steaks, steaks, and more steaks!!! Good eats for sure. How do you like the cast iron plate setter?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Very well done, @Chicklet!

^:)^
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Chicklet
    Options
    @grege345 That cast iron PS was pretty great.  I don't know any differently though.  My uncles suggested the cast iron version for the grill top.  Glad I found one!  It was the first time we used it and The Man said he was in charge of the fire tonight.  This is what happens the The Man is a firefighter.  I am not permitted to take part if the fire frivolity.  I just got to watch. 

Oh, and I did make up some herbed butter for my steaks that was pretty tasty too.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Tell the man to step aside next time and try a reverse sear. Popular around here and worth a try. Reason why the reverse sear works so well with the egg is because it is easier to ramp up the temp after the initial cook than it is to ramp down the temp. Get it?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Chicklet
    Options
    Totally get it!  I want to try the reverse sear soon.   I'm having a blast with this thing!  

Eat, drink and be merry

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    =D> OH YA!
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thoughts on the CI PS? Just noticed a crack in my PS so, I'll be submitting that and firering real soon for warranty. I was going to get one but the ceramic has served me well thus far. I do like the grilling surface on the CI PS it's kinda cool.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Great job. Some people don't like venison no matter how you fix it. Think it's in their heads. Any extra for JERKY
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Very nice.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Chicklet
    Options
    I have cooked on CI for years and love the results. I have only used this the one time so far but I already have big plans for this gizmo. I did notice that it takes a lot longer to cool the whole system with that PS sitting inside so that tidbit will be useful with other cooks. We maintained 350 all through dinner, cleanup, and the rest of the wine.
    Eat, drink and be merry

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    "...and the rest of the wine." You're gonna fit in fine around here. :wink:
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.