Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To table or not to table? Granite top?

Options
Two questions...One post. 

I am trying to decide on the whole table set up thing.  I was just going to get a side table / cabinet on wheels set up that I could also use as a buffet when entertaining outside.   I could just wheel my stuff around as I need it.  I'm also a lefty so would want the table to my left but when my SO cooks, he would want it on his right.  
I am sorta concerned about theft of my egg so I'm beginning to think that putting the Egg into a table might be a little deterrent.  Theft isn't a big issue in my 'hood but it does happen from time to time.  I have no place to wheel my Egg into when I go out of town so would have to leave it on the back deck which is pretty visible from my carport.  

So should I build a table for my Egg or just a plain table?  I do need some dry storage so will be building a table with a drawer and doors to keep my stuff in.  

No matter what kind of table I build, I want a granite top.  What I need to know is how do I attach the granite to the actual table?  This will be a DIY project but this is not anything I've ever done before with the granite top.  

Any other tips or things I should consider before tackling this project?  

meredith

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    If you're comfortable sharing your town's name, go in your profile, click on edit profile and add your town and what size egg(s) you own.  That can help with folks answering some of your questions.

The granite folks have an adhesive that will work to hold your table top in place.  Just the weight alone will do most of the work, but the adhesive will finish it off.

I'm not sure that many eggs are stolen ... that's a lot of work for a heavy, hard to move item that has a serial number molded into it.  Might think twice about leaving a MM on the front porch, but wouldn't flinch leaving an XL there.  Tools, electronics, etc. are much easier to conceal and sell.

Maybe someone else can tell us about an egg or two that have been stolen.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I'm not super worried about any theft really.  I mean, not many folks will go for something like that.  I think my neighbors have me slightly paranoid for some reason.  Someone in the 'hood had an Egg stolen but I have no idea how big it was.  Strange tho, huh?  

I'm possibly getting a "scrap" piece of granite on the cheap so keep your fingers crossed for me.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Let the top float don't attach. And a well placed claymore will stop them fast =))
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    And I live in the hood no problems around my hose in the past 26 years
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Where to start? Just so many possibilities here. I went table to outdoor kitchen. Couldn't be happier. I guess the first step is to get some ideas. Google: egghead forum table images I'm not blowing you off just tryin to help narrow it down. Btw. Make it big enough for a second egg. My first table was built for 100$ with the help of naked whiz site with some modifications.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Well officer, I'm pretty sure this is a stolen egg.  See where the serial numbers have been filed off.  But, with this here special process I'll be able to read the heat ridges and raise the image of the number in just a minute.  From the new TV show CSI-BGE.

Sorry, dumb thoughts come to me very easily ... most times I keep them to myself.

I'm surprised you didn't get more participation on your "table or not" question.  We get a firestorm of input on which lump is best and this one hasn't pulled and input ... yet!  I not much help on that question. I love my nest/handler configuration.  Lump, plate setter, stones, spider, etc are stored in a large plastic box from Lowes ($100) and my gasser is the table top.  My son uses inexpensive folding snack trays for a table top.  But, I'm weakening and thinking about a table ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'll say this. Wait until you really know what you want in a table. Also, if you plan on moving the egg around I would stick with nest and handler and do a side table. Especially if you do granite. That table egg combo would be HEAVY!
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Eggcellent idea.

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Chicklet‌ ...how long have you had your egg?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I've only had my Egg about four weeks or so @henapple  
    The Man is wanting to build something for me soon.  I am leaning towards just a regular counter setup. My patio is raised and covered so I don't have to worry too much about the elements. Not in any huge hurry though.  
    Eat, drink and be merry

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I was going to suggest that you take your time deciding. Sounds like you're in no hurry.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    You could easily wrap a chain thru the hinge and table for some extra security. A surveillance camera, even a fake one, can go a long way.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I added these to bottom so it could be chained down