Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Relief in XL Lid to allow Temperature probes to pass

Options
Reading a lot lately on providing an easy way to route cables from my stoker through the lid of the egg.  Folks have done everything from routing the cable through the daisy wheel to drilling a hole in the lid.

Rather than drill a hole, I took a dremell tool and relieved a little spot in the bottom portion of the egg.   It holds the cables perfectly, but it wasn't so severe that it wouldn't still accept the gasket.    Picture attached.   Just use a grout grinding tool on the dremell.  Took all of 30 seconds.   Picture attached before installing a new gasket.   The gasket went right on and since it was a gradual relief, the gasket stuck just fine. 

Good luck and do not consider this license to 'adjust' your egg.  Do so at your own risk and peril..  ;-)

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-S I have a LBGE and use my Stoker quite a bit for L&S. Even with the old factory gasket before I went to the Rutland I didn't have an issue passing the "flat tiny in diameter" cables through. And with the flexibility of the Rutland it forms around these cables. What issues did you have that brought you to this resolution?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grilinanchilin
    Options
    Sadly over time have had a couple short out due to being crushed. Usually it happens if a couple of them get crossed for some reason.  This was an easy solution..  Don't know what a Rutland gasket it, but glad things work for you..