Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

unique piece of cast iron

Options

I picked up this unique piece of cast iron last summer, just never got around to posting it.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Interesting piece! By the shine on the nose and both ears I assume this was meant to be used as a bowl of some sort, but when not in use hang as a wall decoration. The underneath is a bowl isn't it?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That would be cool to use as a cornbread, quiche or layered casserole. Flip to remove and serve. Very cool!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    That would be cool to use as a cornbread, quiche or layered casserole. Flip to remove and serve. Very cool!

I believe it was listed as a corn bread dish. These were going for around $70 or more on ebay. I found a seller who listed it wrong that lived about 20 miles from me, I offered to buy it on the side for $25 and got no answer. I don't remember how it was listed wrong but it got no traffic and I was the only bidder. I won it for $22 shipped.

@RRP, I has a shine because it looked brand new, with that factory seasoning they put on cast iron these days though I believe it to be at least a few years old because they are hard to find. I had it hanging on my pole barn patio near one of my eggs. So you are correct!

• RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options

I believe it was listed as a corn bread dish. These were going for around $70 or more on ebay. I found a seller who listed it wrong that lived about 20 miles from me, I offered to buy it on the side for $25 and got no answer. I don't remember how it was listed wrong but it got no traffic and I was the only bidder. I won it for $22 shipped.

@RRP, I has a shine because it looked brand new, with that factory seasoning they put on cast iron these days though I believe it to be at least a few years old because they are hard to find. I had it hanging on my pole barn patio near one of my eggs. So you are correct!

BTW that's a nice looking laminated workbench. Did you make it?
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2015
    Options

Ok, I'm getting the "post approval" message, sigh.

Any way, Yes I made it. Really a great tool to have. I have Veritas twin screw vise on the other end, it is  the width of the work bench with dog hole the whole length. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow.

• Hungry Joe
    Options

@RRP

I just found this on my computer actually using the bench. I was making a mantel for my borther in law.

• RRP
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL bench! You make it?
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2015
    Options

@RRP, Yes I made it. I dug up this picture and I'm just sitting here laughing to myself. Two alcohol related items, three BGE related items and a few fandom things. Hand plane shavings, tools everywhere.

I love my shop.  

BTW, I made that mallet on the bench also.

• RRP
    Options

@RRP, Yes I made it. I dug up this picture and I'm just sitting here laughing to myself. Two alcohol related items, three BGE related items and a few fandom things. Hand plane shavings, tools everywhere.

I love my shop.  

BTW, I made that mallet on the bench also.

I know the feeling! I figure if you made the bench then you made the subtle persuader as well!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Back to the CI. That's a very unique piece. Awesome find. I have been trying to get my hands on a old Husker piece of CI ware but, no luck. Also want an old Griswold waffle iron & those seem to be available but I can't decide on which one to pull the trigger on.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Nice wood. See them bottles and you still have all your fingers ;)
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    You might need a nice hunk of Osage for a plumb bob that you could turn on that jet
  • RRP
    Options
    You might need a nice hunk of Osage for a plumb bob that you could turn on that jet
    LOL - just last summer I threw out 4 pieces of well aged Osage Orange - each were 16" x 10" in diameter. I just got tired of having them take up space...oh well...
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2015
    Options

@urbanforestturnings

Nice wood. See them bottles and you still have all your fingers ;)
    I never mix alcohol and power tools. Really I never drink wine unless its with dinner, and the beer bottle must have been left from some other "meeting".  All that woodworking equipment scares me enough already.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    nice pig head you could do meatloaf in it too
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL - just last summer I threw out 4 pieces of well aged Osage Orange - each were 16" x 10" in diameter. I just got tired of having them take up space...oh well...

Was the pith included?
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    RRP said:

Never pitch Osage. It is great in a fire pit. Only if you love a hot a$$ fire with a butt load of sparks. Wouldn't burn it inside unless your fire place has a glass door
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Looks like you have a nice shop. 
    Phoenix