Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Stew Recipes?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Its cold and I dont have any plans to leave the house today . . . any suggestions for Lamb Stew?

Cooks illustrated has a "mulligatawny soup with lamb" but I am going for more of a slow cooked lamb that is starting to shred / fall off bone.  I am going to continue to search here on the forum, but figured I would post it as well . . because its winter and perhaps this sounds good to others?  Thanks!
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Got this from here:  www.jamisonfarm.com  My wife bought a leg of lamb from them and I am planning on following this recipe.

7 Hour Leg of lamb    

Serves 8-10

Preheat oven 425 degrees

6 medium onions, quartered

2 lb baby carrots

1 whole head garlic, peeled and halved

6 bay leaves

1 bunch fresh thyme if available(dried can be used)

1 bunch fresh basil if available(dried can be used)

1 leg of lamb(semi boneless) 4-5.5lb

Salt and ground pepper to taste

2 bottles white wine

4 lb red potatoes, peeled and quartered

5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped or 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes

2 cans drained cannellini beans(optional)

1)      Layer  onions, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, spices on bottom of large roaster pan. Place lamb on top of vegetables. Roast uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and season generously with salt & pepper. Return lamb to oven uncovered and roast 30 minutes more.

2)      Remove roaster pan from oven. Place on stovetop. Slowly pour wine over the lamb, cover and  bring to a boil. Return roaster to oven and continue cooking at 325 degrees for 4-5 hours, until lamb is very tender and easily pulling off the bone. Timing will vary according to size of leg. Reduce heat and add more liquid if too much evaporation.

3)      During final hour, add and bury tomatoes and potatoes in liquid. Add beans final ½ hour if using. The lamb  should be very moist, tender and falling off the bone. As the French have said, "you should be able to eat it with a spoon!"

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    My favorite site for Lamb ideas is "Kalofagas"...Great Greek recipes 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks guys - I will check out the kalogas website now.  Also, found a really good looking recipe posted here on the forum by @caliking in the past - did you ever try it?  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    NDG said:
    Thanks guys - I will check out the kalogas website now.  Also, found a really good looking recipe posted here on the forum by @caliking in the past - did you ever try it?  

No haven't tried that..But just read it and it sounds great..
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I haven't tried that particular nihari recipe, but it looked legit. Go for it if you like Indian /Pakistani food. I have had good results from Saveur recipes so far.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My favorite is lamb stew is Rogan Gosh, a Kashmiri dish. If you have some yogurt on hand and a good supply of spices, you should be able to put it together. There are lots of different masala mixes used for the dish. I don't have a fave, but I got lazy and used some premade sauce from Patak, and was disappointed.

A friend who spent a few months walking along the Greek seashore said there was a style of cooking where lamb is braised in lemon juice. He didn't give any other detail, and I haven't found a recipe that resembles what he described. Basically, instead of water or stock, the lamb was braised in lemon juice. Might be a good way of cooking to bring some summer into the middle of winter.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    What type of lamb do you have on hand (shanks, leg, etc)? I made this pulled lamb recipe:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168359/edward-lees-pulled-lamb-bbq-slightly-tweaked#latest

There was a lot of broth leftover, I think you could definitely cook the veggies in the final cooking liquid while pulling the lamb, maybe add some extra beef broth to get to the desired consistency.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NDG
    Options
    @ACN looks great but I am hoping for more of a stew, 
    @gdenby that lemon juice lamb sounds great. 
    @caliking I am going to give it a try.   I would love to go all-in and grind the spices, but I dont feel like making special trip to indian mrkt to get black AND green Cardamon pods . . intense!  Do you think it will deflate the dish if I use a bottle of garam masala instead of grinding my own? 
    Columbus, OH

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You can use cardamom powder if you have it. Or a garam masala. I would stll do the whole masala with cinnamon, cloves, chili and bay leaf.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NDG
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  Ended up finding some green cardamom pods so I ground my own spices . . found the cardomom pods in our pantry that is part of my Masala Dabba - who knew!  The masala dabba (the stainless spice holder in my pic) was an awesome gift I got a few years ago from my inlaws . . . . what a cool gift!  

Anyway, lamb is seared now it is covered in the Dutch Over for 6 hrs of slooooow cooking - smells awesome already!  

Columbus, OH

• caliking
    Options
    Sound like it's coming along nicely :) and nice masala set you have there.

What time should I come over??

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Awesome...Now where is the smell button on this Mac...Looking forward to seeing the end product..
  • caliking
    Options
    Sorry didn't see your earlier question. I would say use what you have on hand and then tweak when you make the recipe next time. Can hardly go wrong grinding your own spices though.

• NDG
    Options
    I messed this one up. Turns out I had my Dutch Oven way too hot during the 5+ hours of slow cooking. I checked about 3 hours in and it was too late - liquid gone and bottom had solid layer of spices stuck to the bottom = FAIL.  Switched over to a different pot, added some jar spices . . but end flavor & texture was off . . . very one note.  No knock on the recipe and my pictures look better than it was, win some you lose some.

Served with some sous vide carrots - 1hr at 185F w/ some butter/honey/parsley/s&p.

Columbus, OH

• caliking
    Options
    It doesn't look bad at all from over here!

With a DO, you can also stick it in the oven for long slow braising. You don't have to attend to it much, and you know it's cooking at a set temp. @Canugghead‌ has done this with curries and had good results.

• NDG
    Options
    yes great tip . . . always next time!
    Columbus, OH

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Sorry to hear that ...would never of known that from the pics...