Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ Jr stand idea w/pic OT

Options
Tinyfish
Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
Since I my got my first L ChEgg(Chinese knockoff) in Oct. and I started reading this eggcellent forum, my collection has grown to 3. XL BGE and my newest addition Kamado Joe Jr, got it yesterday.

I was asking about the XL nest height since I didn't buy one for my own. I found that the XL nest works perfect for a stand for the KJ Jr. The felt line is around 37.5" from the ground. I might cut off or lower the four arms the stick up.

Anyone have a KJ Jr and can provide help I have a gap at the front between dome and base.image

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have to say don't do that. I had a Jr and the stand it comes with will rock back if you ever open it and let go of the handle. I had mine rock back on my driveway. Another member here had theirs on a table on their back porch and and went over backwards. I would build something else for it you can throw together a table for $50.
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Thanks @Lit for the warning. I was thinking the same thing. You cant see it in the pictures but for the time being I have it zip tied KJ to nest in four places and will double up each zip tie till I can figure something else out. I want to use nuts and bolts with some type of u clamp. If all else fails I will change out the zip ties with metal hose clamps painted black.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You should be fine with a couple zip ties it doesn't jerk back or anything but it will rock back.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'd be a nervous wreck
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mod the KJ carrier to a lower center of gravity and tack weld to the BGE nest. I would think you'd gain the stability and the mod is actually simple with an angle grinder w/ cutoff wheel and a few minor welds. Then spray with paint for corrosion prevention. Congrats on the addition.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    It was very stable opening and closing before the zip ties. I just got the Jr Friday. I still want to replace the zip ties with some type of metal nuts bolts clamps. Welding the KJ stand to nest would be the safest but then I loose the portability.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks interesting, I would rock the Jr in all directions while someone else is spotting, just to make sure nothing is going to spill if it gets bumped.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    sell the nest, use the money for materials to buy a ss table or build one... 
    Beaufort, SC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Wire rope hardware would be a solution. Home Depot or lowes. image
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Tinyfish
    Options
    The nest is stable its from an XLBGE, it has a very wide foot print. Just need to find the right hardware like @grege345 showed to be 100% safe. I like the idea of the black nest with the Jrs black stand.

I will be going to a stainless steel shop to get a table made for my XL...so you never know maybe two tables.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    It needs a skirt. Seriously. Skirt made of Sunbrella and big tub with a lid underneath for storage.
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    My mobile kamado/cooler...nice.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Maybe pull out the top four bolts from the XL nest and lower the KJ nest down so that it sets on the the XL nest cross pieces.  Then replace the XL nest bolts.  You'll still have to come up with a way to tie the two nests together, but at least the KJ will have a lower center of gravity.

Or, pull the KJ out of it's stand and set it in the middle of the XL nest.  Fill the four voids with metal spacers or have the metal shop make you four "L" shaped pieces that can bolt to the XL nest cross braces and make a reduced diameter nest.  Then it'd be easy to pull the KJ, reinstall it in it's official nest, and take it on a trip.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tinyfish
    Options
    With stand and nest it brings the felt line to about 36" from the ground which is about right.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Okay then, a U-bolt like this might work better than the cable clamp that grege345 mentioned

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @Tinyfish how has this worked for you?  Was looking for someway to raise my Jr to make it easier to work on it on the deck. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    @Firemanyz stand works great. I never used the u bolts I justbused zip ties.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Was wondering if you ever changed this setup or are you still using this?
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    Was wondering if you ever changed this setup or are you still using this?
    Still using the same setup.  I have had no problems or issues,  works great!