Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap question (temp control)

Today is my first day cooking with my Smokeware cap... How do you usually control temp with yours? Does the top have to be off for max temps (600-700) or will it get up there with top on and vents wide open? Will half closed get me 350-400 range? Thanks in advance

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Off completely for nuclear temperatures - otherwise wind and weather conditions dictate other settings the same way as Miss Daisey did. Sometimes 350 is a just a small opening and other times nearly wide open.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • So for searing a steak, you usually take the top off?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    So for searing a steak, you usually take the top off?

I do.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    The top vent Smokeware opening will also depend on the bottom vent opening. Try leaving your bottom vent opening where you would normally for 350 and try Smokeware cap open 1/2". See how this setup relates to 350 and fine tune from there.
  • I've always kept my bottom vent wide open unless I was doing a low n slow cook (225-250)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Remember airflow is airflow. But, me personally anything over 350℉ish I pull the cap off and dial in with the lower vent. You'll find that by doing this the cap will stay cleaner longer especially if you're cooking a spatchcock at 400℉ish. Cleaning is also simple with either powder or liquid Barkeepers SS cleaner. Enjoy the Smokeware.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MartyB
    MartyB Posts: 6
    I've been using the Smokeware cap for about four months and have found that with it set to wide open, I can usually count on a temp of about 450-500F. If I need the Egg to be hotter than that, I have to turn on a blower thingy at my bottom vent. 

With the Smokeware cap cranked down to about 1/2 inch open, and a similar opening on the bottom vent, I can usually get my temp to about 220-250. YMMV. 
  • Remember airflow is airflow. But, me personally anything over 350℉ish I pull the cap off and dial in with the lower vent. You'll find that by doing this the cap will stay cleaner longer especially if you're cooking a spatchcock at 400℉ish. Cleaning is also simple with either powder or liquid Barkeepers SS cleaner. Enjoy the Smokeware.

When I cook fish, I stay around 350. 400 is a bit too hot.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Best thing to do is cook with it and see what happens. Trail and error just like everything with the egg.

It'll start to seal off smoke leakage better as you use it and buildup accumalates.

I don't clean mine for that reason.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model