Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen, not the movie

Options
My MBGE is frozen shut.  I recently replaced the gasket with Rutland.  See some similar posts.  Hairdryer is the best bet?

I realize the next statement could have Jerry Maguire's "Manifesto"-like blowback, but I am getting rather annoyed at the high-maintenance-ness of my BGE!  Earlier in the year, I got a nasty case of mold, which required the gasket replacement.  Now the damn thing is frozen shut.  Meanwhile, my Weber Silver Genesis, which I've had for 12 years, is still going strong (replaced the grate and flavorizers once).  My buddy has a Weber bullet smoker... never has these issues, plus he can add fuel mid-smoke... something us Eggers can't w/o disassembling everything.
Looking for someone to talk me off the ledge because I am really considering ditching this thing for something cheaper & easier!     
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    If its growing mold u should use it more often or the day after a cook you could open up the vents to get airflow. I've had a small and large for 8 years and never had a mold or freeze shut issue. Where are u located?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sounds like its too much work. Sell it or use it more
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2015
    Options

If its growing mold u should use it more often or the day after a cook you could open up the vents to get airflow. I've had a small and large for 8 years and never had a mold or freeze shut issue. Where are u located?

Same here, 5 years rutland no freezing no mold. In Connecticut.

Did you install the gasket on the base and dome or just one or the other?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

If you don't like it, get rid of it. No one is stopping you. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    First of all come back from the ledge..You are understandably frustrated..You are going to get some great advice coming... I personally have no input as all I have had to do is put lump in and enjoy some incredible food..Hang in and have a great day.. :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

And, if you do, I see a time on your future where you'll think "spatchcock" and just say damn. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Give you 200.00 for it that way you can enjoy that weber of yours.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    the guy is looking for help, not KoolAid drinker smartass remarks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• badinfluence
    Options

the guy is looking for help, not KoolAid drinker smartass remarks.

Whatever
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Seems easy enough to me. Put some foil on the gasket when you finish for the day. Either get some airflow between cooks or cook more.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Ok to help light some coal place into the air vent let the egg warm. Pretty easy really.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Not every product is good for every person. If you take the time and read and implement some of the tip and tricks found here, I'm sure you'll step back from the ledge. I hope not the case but if you do decide to get rid if the egg, you'll see how fast it sells.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Just wondering when your car door gets iced shut do you want to sell your car? Now man up light the egg and cook

Clinton, Iowa
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I may have missed where you are located. .....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Frozen: Read the first entry in this thread since his egg was really stuck.

Mold: Venting has already been mentioned.

High Maintenance: Not meant in a smart a$$ way, but only you can decide if the effort is worth the reward. Folks here will bend over backwards to help improve the effort/reward balance, but in the end if egging isn't for you, then try something else.

Cheers ... 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Opening an egg that is frozen shut can be a real pita. However, at 5 degrees once it is open you can cook on it.

I have a weber genesis, an OTG and a WSM also. I don't even bother once it is below 30 with them. They burn too much fuel to maintain temp. Anything over 300 won't happen in the WSM.

Last night in 5 degree weather an 20mph wind the egg held 475-500 without any issue. Sure they are higher maintenence than the webers, but it is worth it IMHO.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Regarding the mold, when you are done cooking are you just closing the holes on the daisy wheel? If so, there is your problem-- use the ceramic lid to close down. The only people I have seen with mold have not used the ceramic top.

Regarding the egg being frozen shut, it happens. But not to everyone. Maybe you had moisture ( which we know- mold) and then combined with the cold weather where you live. Out a starter cube in bottom vent and light. Once gasket frees itself you are off.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Chubbs ... interesting comment on mold with a daisy wheel ... do you have a reason/guess for why that is? 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If not closed all the way and a little moisture seeps in with very very little airflow @jeepster47
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The human head weighs 8 pounds.  

It can be a pain when it happens. I'm in GA so I don't have to deal with it often.  As others mentioned you can light a fire through bottom.  I have a mapp torch so I was able to just start the leftover lump sticking the torch head through the draft door and lighting from the bottom.  

I have had good luck preventing mold by using the rain cap to stuff it out, and once it is out I crack the draft door on the bottom.  Also try not to leave anything in there like a greasy drip pan.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shrek
    Shrek Posts: 67
    Options
    Thanks for a lot of good tips, and a few good laughs, from the likes of BadInfluence.  You're right, I don't use it enough.  But I did learn something here: I used to close it all the way down after a cook to snuff out the fire & preserve some lump.  Sounds like cracking the vent is a good idea.  I live in VA, where it doesn't get as cold as other places - but has been 20s for a few days - so was annoyed when I went out there this AM to deposit 2 racks of ribs and could't get her opened.  
    In the end, she isn't going anywhere since I got her slightly used, with a DIY nest/table for $400.  
    BadInfluence - your work is done here, you can get back to trolling other boards.  Godspeed.  
    My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Chubbs & @SmokeyPitt ... I live in a humid area and will be shutting down my egg for a month in the future.  That's why the interest. 

1) Chubbs uses the ceramic cap and (reading between the lines) closes the bottom vent to prevent any airflow.

2) SmokeyPitt uses the ceramic cap, but opens the bottom vent.

3) Others have said they open the egg up so that the air flows through.

Which would you suggest is best for a "mothballed" egg.  Thanks for the input on removing any greasy things ... think I'll plan on removing the grills, woo, and plate setter when it's "mothballed."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Shrek - not everything is for everyone. Do what keeps you happy and in good spirits. Ditch the BGE, and stick with the WSM and gasser. you will make great meals with both. I have several Weber kettles and still love them .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Shrek said:

Thanks for a lot of good tips, and a few good laughs, from the likes of BadInfluence.  You're right, I don't use it enough.  But I did learn something here: I used to close it all the way down after a cook to snuff out the fire & preserve some lump.  Sounds like cracking the vent is a good idea.

You still want to put the ceramic cap on, but the next day crack the bottom to allow air flow. If you leave the top open and store the egg outside then when it rains you'll definitely get moisture in their and the problem will get worse.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I might also suggest some form of a cover for the Egg/table. I have the BGE brand cover on my Large Egg and table. I shut down the Egg by using the ceramic cap and closing the lower vent. I don't always clean ashes and reset lump the next day, though I do try. I do put the cover on as soon as I can after using the Egg. So far (knock on wood) I have not had any mold issues, I think the cover has helped with that. I do not have a Rutland gasket so I can't speak to that.

Not to be too big of a cheerleader, but keep at it, you will get better with managing the cooks and being efficient with the maintenance. To me the benefit of good food cooked at home outweighs the maintenance and attention needed to use the Egg to its fullest potential.

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Shrek‌, I was worried about my egg freezing up and haven't been able to use it because I had hip replacement surgery and I have had the flu and s cold. So before it got really cold I bought a cover for my XL to keep ice from building up or freezing the gasket shut. I hope to try and use it this week if I continue to feel better. I've not had any issues with mold, but when it's nice I use it about every day. I would look at getting a cover maybe. Mine is only for winter. Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.