Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burning on the ends

Options
Has anyone experienced when let's say ribs are over hangings the plate setter. Even at 250 degrees they tend to cook faster and maybe even burn. Looking for some advice.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Yes...What I do is use my V rack, turn it over and drape the ribs over it so they are all protected by the place setter..Works pretty well.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Yup, there are aftermarket ceramic stones which directly addresses this issue. Oval shaped vs the circular plate setter design.

Ceramic grill store has them, if you only want the stone, check out their "2nds" page for some slightly damaged stones for a reduced price.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Do you have a large? The Ceramic Grill Store sells a Adjustable Rig Rib and Brisket combo. It comes with an Oval stone that extends the length of a typical rack of baby backs. Or you can cut them or bend them or buy an XL.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Not the 100% cure but foil the grid where the ribs overhang for the near-term fix.  Will reduce and near eliminate the end burn.  You can also foil the end ribs while the rest continue to cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdawgs24
    Options
    I have XL. I am looking at the ceramic store. So I would need a new stone and like the flip ring to hold the stone?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I solve that issue very simply...I cut my racks in half! PRESTO-CHANGEO problem solved! LOL - besides I don't have dinnerware large enough to serve a whole rack to anyone.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @gdawgs24‌ this advice wasn't taken by myself and learning now that I should have called Tom at CGS. It's the easiest and quickest way to not overspend and get items that you may not use in the future...

Although I don't have Tom's number off hand, others do.

@Mickey‌ perhaps you can help out?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @gdawgs24‌ this advice wasn't taken by myself and learning now that I should have called Tom at CGS. It's the easiest and quickest way to not overspend and get items that you may not use in the future... Although I don't have Tom's number off hand, others do. @Mickey‌ perhaps you can help out?

Call Tom Monday on (940) 387-0100
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.