Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to safely move my eggs into a table?

Options
I have a new table being made for both of my large eggs. In my current configuration I have 1 large in a table and the other large in a nest. The egg in the table came that way when I bought it so I didn't have to do anything. 

What is the best way to place the eggs in the new table? I am thinking that I will remove the fire ring, the fire box etc. so it will be lighter. Should I also remove the dome so it is lighter? I really don't want to take the domes off, but I will if I have to. 

What did you guys do to safely do this without damaging your egg or your table?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always take one of the band bolts out and take the done off. Make sure you put the white plastic thing over the band bolts to keep the springs from flying open or just use some zip ties. Its light this way I have taken my XL out of my table and put it back in by myself before.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I put my LBGE in the table by myself. It was brand new out of the box and so all the pieces were no part of the equation. I'd suggest you remove the dome as well - if you can - remember to secure the hinges.

I put my one arm inside the egg and grabbed the bottom vent as a handle and used the other around it. It was cumbersome, but take your time. Do small lifts as for its heavy. (Ground to deck, deck to table top, table top inside table - don't move it in one big move and rest a little in between)

Lastly I'll say, the hardest part was carefully lowering it down on the table nest. This is were my wife helped out to guide it. At this point in the move you won't be able to use the lower vent as a handle, so be really careful.

Best of luck!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Thanks @Lit and @RedSkip!

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ had a post where he took a large to a tailgate. He used a pot lifter and I think if you can recruit some help this would be safest and easiest.
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options

I took the top of my table apart so I could just slide the egg onto the shelf below, then reassembled the table around the egg....

Rowlett, Texas
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I guess I will take the domes off. Between myself, my son, and a buddy we will make it work. 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Everytime I move mine, I take it all apart. Dome, fire bowl, ring, every piece comes out and apart.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We took the guts out, left the ceramic top cap off and ran a ratchet strap around the egg vertically, through the handle. Then I got on the back and lifted from the hinge and a buddy lifted from the handle. It was waaaaay easier than I thought.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    If you need help holler. I'll ride down but I require egged food after. ;)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

Honestly....  I grabbed 2 big high school football players and offered them some ribs if they helped me for 20 minutes.....

In the table, I placed 2x4's in a box-type cribbing to bring the level so you are not lowering them all at once....  Lift the egg and have the other person pull out a later or two then rest.  Repeat as needed to get the eggs down.  This way is slow, but those kids can take it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bigalsworth
    Options
    I put mine in with the dome on and I would not recommend it. You pretty much have to depend on the hinge to lower it down and I will not risk my egg like that again. In the future I will take the 15 min to pull it a part.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I just remove the inner parts, reach inside grab bottom vent hole, with other hand grab spring assembly and gently lower into table. But right now I am in hospital with major back surgery... Might not be a good idea!! But if I'm gonna be stupid I gotta be tough
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Remove guts, loosen upper band bolt and remove dome. then reach down inside and put hand through bottom vent BUT...be sure to wear gloves, that vent has sharp edges. Having another person to help guide would be nice as well, not heavy as much as unweildy.
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    I like the idea of the wife guiding it in =D>

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @piney I hope you feel better soon! 

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    +1 for the pot lifter, only casts a few bucks and you and a buddy will lift the entire egg just fine.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    +1 for PotLifter. +1 also for removing the dome. If you use the intake vent as a handle/grip, use a towel between your hand and the vent, otherwise you may cut yourself . And don't lift it using the hinge assembly - if the bands come off the egg when you lift, you could have a humpty dumpty situation.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @johnkitchens, my brother and I lifted mine into my table.  Just removed the inside pieces.  After that it's not that heavy.  We just sat the Egg on top and slide over into the hole.  One person on top and one person under.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    +1 for the potlifter. My 15 year old daughter and I moved the Egg from garage to deck in back of house and up into the table pretty easily. Best $20 I have spent in long time. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I had the guys that delivered my table help me move them over. I took the internals out so they were a lot lighter. I didn't have to remove the dome so I was glad of that. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I'm confused.  Didn't you have a double large table ready.   I'm sure I've complimented you on it.  Did you replace it?
    Phoenix 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    blasting said:
    I'm confused.  Didn't you have a double large table ready.   I'm sure I've complimented you on it.  Did you replace it?
    This post was made before my new double table arrived. I still have the new table. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I see the gap in the dates now.  Need coffee.  Carry on.
    Phoenix 
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    +1 for the Pot Lifter. My 15 year old daughter and I put my LBGE in table with no problem. This was with The dome still on but Fire Box and Ring  removed. Bought on Amazon for $19. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• JBTx
    JBTx Posts: 18
    Options
    I recently placed my large in the new table by myself, and it's really not that bad if you have a few things.  

I removed the firebox/ring and all grates. Then I used a forearm forklift (if you don't have some of these, you really should) and doubled it through the bottom vent and closed the lid. Then I put the ends of the straps through the dome handle to make sure they were not moving side/side. After that, it was a simple task to lift and move.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    caliking said:
    +1 for PotLifter. +1 also for removing the dome. If you use the intake vent as a handle/grip, use a towel between your hand and the vent, otherwise you may cut yourself . And don't lift it using the hinge assembly - if the bands come off the egg when you lift, you could have a humpty dumpty situation.
    I use the pot lifter. It's awesome. It works alone or with a buddy. I also move it just like Cali suggest, except I do lift it with the band assembly. One hand in the vent and one on the hinge. It's a bad idea though. Bear hug it on the table. Then I get on the table and use the pot lifter to lower it in the hole. 

XLBGE