Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather surprise

Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
When the temps get down around zero, that's a perfect time to defrost the freezer.  I box the food packages, put it out on the deck, and put a rather large fan blowing in the freezer.  Only takes an hour or two to complete the chore and then the freezer is turned back on and the packages are returned when it's cold. This year we discovered a package of boneless pork chops buried in the back ... been there since mid-summer ... hmmm ... well, I'm cheap, so decided that we'd cook up some and see if they were still good.

Brined the pork overnight in the "Basic Pork Brine" from Fred Thompson's Grill Master cookbook to give them a chance at being juicy. Fired up the grill with Rockwood and two chunks of pecan wood.  The chops were an inch thick, so they were cooked raised indirect at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes per side.  Pulled when the internal was at 145 degrees.  Didn't try for any searing ... it's too cold for that extra stuff.  They turned out pretty good.  Don't laugh at the taters ... boiled potatoes are one of my favorites, but I'm usually out voted, so tonight was special.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Looks good to me. I have no problem with boiled taters with some butter and s&p!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    All right Jason ... that makes two of us!!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Three.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut