Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pork Loin

Options
DieselkW
DieselkW Posts: 894
We are entering a cold spell, and I wanted to use up a pork loin, this is my first attempt at this one.

Winter egging is different, for something so well insulated, it sure requires a LOT more fuel and vent adjustments to compensate for the ambient temperature.

Butterfly the loin into 4 even sections, halve it almost all the way through, open like a book. Then carefully halve each side of the book, working from the "spine" out, so you have have 4 connected sections of approximately equal thickness. Pound down any obviously too thick sections if you're inclined. Then make some stuffing:

Bacon fried, grease drained. Shallots fried in a little bacon grease while you're chopping the bacon into little tiny pieces. Put the bacon back in, add a half cup of ham bouillon (chicken if you don't have any ham flavored) and reduce for a few minutes. The bacon will plump up a bit. Add spinach, about 3 cups fresh - I just fill the pan with spinach and whatever other dark greens I find in the fridge. Let that just wilt - less than a minute.

Cool the frying pan mixture while you're setting up the egg in the freezing ar*se cold. Indirect - 250f. I bought 4 chunks of apricot wood for this cook, peach works as well. I imagine any fruit wood would work - I stay away from the strong flavored smokes like hickory or mesquite with pork, ymmv.

Note: At 10 degrees or so, to get the egg up to 250f, I had to use summer vent settings that would have gotten me to 400f.

That filling should be cool by now. Probably wet also. I drained it, but if you don't mind the carbs, just add enough breadcrumbs to dry it up - stir and spread all over the 4 "sheets" of pork loin. Season with black pepper.

Now just roll the pork, jelly roll style, from right to left or left to right, so that you basically re-assemble the original loin. I used some wooden sticks I have to keep it together, butchers twine would be fine.

Some leftover bacon for flavoring the outside, along with a little rosemary and salt - set in a roasting pan raised with whatever veggies you want in the bottom - we had some butternut cubes and celery, onions, - - a little of that ham bouillon to keep the veggies company goes in the bottom.

This took about 3 hours - had a temp increase as the water boiled off - which was fine with me finishing at 320f for the last 45 minutes or so.

Nice smokey flavor - not a bad ring for the temperature - if I had bothered to hammer those slabs into uniform thickness it would look better, but everyone had a second helping - always my favorite compliment.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments