Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to break in Dutch Oven? - Perlou recipes?

Options
Looking to break in my Dutch oven this coming up weekend by cooking a little Perlou.

I have an old Perlou recipe but wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestions for the egg.  I have the venison/ducks/doves for it just looking for some tips on the egg.
Is there anything I need to do to prepare dutch oven or just coat with EVOO and start smoking?

Looking forward to the weekend.  Cold weather and BGE!

Comments

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    You got me on the venison duck and dove. Is the Dutch oven new. And I take it its c.i
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    If it's new and fresh. I'd heat your over to 350 VERY VERY thin coat of flax seed oil bake and hour then turn off oven. ..allow to cool in oven. Do this at least 4 times. And it should be pretty good. I do more 6-7 for all new CI. and it's ready to roll.secret is thin thin coats.. if too thick it'll make it sticky

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Ive found 450 polymerizes oil better than 350 and Canola works fine....were it me I'd up the temp.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It depends on whether the DO was pre-seasoned.  If it is a new Lodge DO, chances are it came pre-seasoned and it is ready to go.  It never hurts to rub some oil on it before cooking, but it shouldn't be necessary to go through the seasoning process in the oven.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Marshall85
    Options
    You got me on the venison duck and dove. Is the Dutch oven new. And I take it its c.i
    Dutch oven brand new and yes cast iron.  It is the BGE model