Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unrefridgerated cheese

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
How long will a block of cheddar cheese stay good on the counter? I figure cheese has been around a lot longer than refridgerators, and was used as a way to preserve milk products without keeping cold. Does it really need to be kept cold? I always try to serve cheese at room temp. I'm being challenged on this thought.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    if it's going to grow, it'll grow on the outside first
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    A one pound block only lasts about 20min on my counter :D
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    A one pound block only lasts about 20min on my counter :D

I think the question is before it goes bad, not down the hatch. :-c
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    dont know how long but there was a block of cabots cheddar on my counter from thursday morning til sunday night at camp, i never put it in the fridge up there. only thing ive noticed with the cheddar over the years is that now that they wrap in plastic the same cheese that used to be wrapped in paper is now soft rubbery. i can still get the cheddar chipped from the big wheels under glass like they used to do years ago and the place near me does not refridgerate it. im thinking one of those big wheels of cheddar lasts a couple weeks on the stores counter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    When I go backpacking I take a block of cheese with me. There's no refrigeration and I usually try to span it for 5-7 days. The outside may dry out a bit, and if there's any mold just slice it away and it's fine. I've done it plenty and I'm here typing this still.
    Dunedin, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I don't suppose there is any simple answer. Cheese should be kept cool, 60-ish, and sort of damp, but not wet. If it gets too warm, the cultures in it will die. From what I've read, cheeses were aged in cool cellars. Cheese like Parmesan can sit for several years. Cheeses that are rather oily, like cheddar, will weep out the oil in them, and dry out. Nothing bad about dried cheese, its just chewy.

Many cheeses will support fungus growth if the surface is damp, such as sitting in plastic wrap in a fridge. But the mold can just be cut away.

I suppose the only real hazard of letting the cheese sit out is that it might get contaminated by some pathogen, which may flourish once its added to food that is not cooked.