Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken in 8 degrees!!

Options
kpeterzalek
kpeterzalek Posts: 16
edited January 2015 in Poultry
First time poster with more to come. 2nd year with the LBGE and ready to start sharing! I have been smoking and grilling chicken for a while, the vast majority are whole chickens indirect @~300 degrees after a 4-8 hour brine w/ an apple chunk. It's hard to top the light smoky flavor and tenderness from that process. This time my wife and I decided to do one "spatchcock" (removing the backbone and laying flat), resulting in a crispier outside and still very tender. Also a faster cook time... I'm not baby sitting a chicken when it's 8 degrees outside! We'll definitely be doing this one again!

Process

Removed the backbone with kitchen shears, and laid flat. There are several good YouTube videos and instruction in this forum on how to spatchcock a chicken. Took a little pushing to get fully flattened. Coated lightly with vegetable oil.

Added Dizzy Pig Raging River, which has become my go-to for poultry. This seasoning really has no limits - a maple and almost citrus flavor

Direct raised grid @ 375-400 degrees. Added one small apple chunk. I actually use the heat deflector from Kamado Joe instead of the BGE Plate Setter which converts nicely into a raised grid setup. Lastly - hook up that Maverick! its cold outside no way i'm checking temps outside.

Just about done, about 155 internal. At this point brushed with Q39 Regular BBQ sauce from Kansas City. This sauce is REALLY good. I get it at the restaurant but I don't think they are shipping it yet. http://www.q39kc.com/merchandise/ 

After about 5-8 minutes longer to glaze on the grill, the internal was 165 in the breast and ready to pull. Let it rest about 10 minutes

Final product! 

KC style BBQ
LBGE
DigiQ DX2

Comments