Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo2 vs Adjustable Rig Combo

Options
Hey Eggers -

I wanted to get opinions and/or recommendations for either the PSWoo2 or Adjustable Rig Combo from CGS.

Currently I have a LRG BGE w/ PS.  Have been using my CI grate for indirect cooks.  I would like to increase cooking surface (multi-level) along with raising the level of the grate to felt line or even above.  I was thinking the best route would be to go with the AR but wanted to get everyone's feedback.

Also a question about the AR Combo for those experienced: Does the ceramic plate included (13") offer a better coverage over the charcoal than the BGE PS.  I noticed during my first brisket cook that the gap between the legs charred the brisket above that area more quickly.   

Thanks in advance.

LBGE Owner - Nov/2014

Denver, CO - transplant from the great state of Texas

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have the AR and the oval stone and drip ring. It works perfect for brisket and ribs. I also bought a round stone but rarely use it. I tend to default to the platesetter rather than the round stone - just my preference. I had the platesetter first and that's what I used for a few years.

As far as multilevel cooks, the AR is tough to beat. I have never used a Woo. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • tywarren
    Options
    @minniemoh‌ great thanks for the info

LBGE Owner - Nov/2014

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Call @tjv and he will help you
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have the same as minniemoh, I had the platesetter first and gave it away after i got the oval stone. I had the same problem with charing the edges of briskets and ribs, problem solved. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Based on what you are saying you would want the AR. I had the
    Platesetter with a LG and went with the Woo. I was able to use the platesetter for indirect and the woo to raise the grid to the felt line. The thing that was lacking was the ability to cook on. multiple levels. The AR will allow this but will make the platesetter obsolete. If you see another Egg in your future soon get the Woo now and the AR for your future Egg. If not just get the AR now and enjoy.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • tywarren
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌ that's what I was thinking in how it would help.

@Chubbs‌ thanks I will do that.

LBGE Owner - Nov/2014

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Had the woo...sold it AR with extender and extra grids works for me. Do some digging and searching no need for a call imo. The website and this place has all the info you need, I'm sure that's why tjv has the descriptive page with all the pics and setups.

Links that can help

Search bge forum (adjustable rig) or (ps woo) for more info.

Seattle, WA
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    My opinion is the AR is perfect for the large. @minniemoh‌ is right on target with the oval stone so you can protect an entire rack of ribs or a brisket. The woo doesn''t buy you anything the AR doesn'already give you except a wok rest. You can even get a grid extender for yet another level. It really allows you to get the most out of your large. Check out the video on the CGS site.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Get the AR R&B Combo. I also got the spider, extender, and an extra oval grid. I can now rule the world.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So if I already have the place setter for my large. And a pizza stone. I could probably get by with the AR and the oval stone? I was trying to figure out what a good starting set for the AR would be.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    jcaspary said:

Based on what you are saying you would want the AR. I had the
    Platesetter with a LG and went with the Woo. I was able to use the platesetter for indirect and the woo to raise the grid to the felt line. The thing that was lacking was the ability to cook on. multiple levels. The AR will allow this but will make the platesetter obsolete. If you see another Egg in your future soon get the Woo now and the AR for your future Egg. If not just get the AR now and enjoy.

According to Tom at CGS the xl platesetter isnt obsolete with ar or woo2....
    I'm really leaning towards ar woo2 with.a.couple.extras

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    All I meant was that if you get the stone you won't need the platesetter. Sell it. :D
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    jcaspary said:

All I meant was that if you get the stone you won't need the platesetter. Sell it. :D

Gotcha... ;)

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    How’s the warranty on the stones from CGS? I’ve gotta PSWOO2 with extender and D grate and use the BGE plate setter with it all the time. I like how if my PS breaks I can just get another one no $.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Usually breaks in the plate setter are related to the legs. I’ve never had a round stone break. I have about 5 of them from CGS, going back about 6-7 years. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I bought the R&B combo last spring maybe? Anyway somehow the oval stone developed a crack that was slowly getting larger. I called cgs and they had a new one in the mail the next day!  She said they rarely have that happen but sometimes they are cracked from the manufacturer and it gets missed. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    My egg has seen more grilling style duty than ever before since I got the AR combo.  I used to fire up the gasser for quick weeknight grilling but the kick ash basket (bought with my AR recently as well) helps get my fire going quicker and the AR has made grilling on the egg much more manageable and enjoyable.  Having the extender is clutch too, nice to be able to slide the grid back for access to the lower grid and you can get food moved back from the heat as well.