Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

you did what to that turkey?

Options

My wife bought me a turkey to practice with for next Thanksgiving.  Since we've enjoyed so much success with spatchcock chicken, we wanted to try a spatchcock turkey. 

“Oh, honey... ok.  “

“But it's snowing outside... “

“Honey, why did we spend so much money on an insulated outdoor cooker?”

“Oh, got it.  Go ahead.”

It’s like asking Richard Sherman if he wants to pick off Kaepernick.  Oh fine. 

Started with a 10 lb young turkey, rubbed it up (and in, and under the skin) this morning with EVOO and ye olde Simon and Garfunkle rub.  I stuck the bird in the fridge until the afternoon.  Got the Egg to temp (400, which was more like dome temp of 500, but hey…), added 3 smallish chunks of hickory, raised grid direct, and I put the bird on at 3 PM.  Now I thought it would take an hour and a half, since a regular 6 lb chicken takes an hour, but I was mistaken.  Hour and ten minutes later, the bird was done, breast IT was 160 in several places, more in some other spots.  I let it rest on the counter for about 15 minutes (or until the kids were all put in their chairs, buddy got your water?  Ok, kiddo, do you need to go potty?  Good, everyone settled?)  The skin was pretty crispy, but not overly so.  I sliced, I served, and the wife says I rule.  I will from this day forward be spatching the Thanksgiving turkeys in our house.  No need for gravy, the bird… the whole bird, was tender, juicy, and flavorful.  But watching her take that first bite, the eyes close, the mouth starts to move in slow motion, which is all well and good.  But the real clincher is the yummy-moan.  After that, it’s a lock.  This was a good cook.  My only regret is the bird didn't last long enough to get sliced pics.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like a quite enjoyable afternoon, and the bird looks good too!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Job well done...as long as the boss likes it...happy wife happy life.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Good cook. Next cook is to scale up to a Thanksgiving day size turkey.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    Good cook. Next cook is to scale up to a Thanksgiving day size turkey.
    While a 10 pounder is admittedly small, a 12 would suffice just as well, methinks.
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    For thanksgiving I'm normally making two birds with the smaller bird being around 14lb, and the second bird in the high teens. Wasn't sure if you would be cooking more, especially with growing kids. :)
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    For thanksgiving I'm normally making two birds with the smaller bird being around 14lb, and the second bird in the high teens. Wasn't sure if you would be cooking more, especially with growing kids. :)

Well they're 3 and 1, so they don't eat a lot... yet.  In the coming years, I expect them to start eating us out of house and home.  That's where I figure the Egg will come in more than handy.  You got teenaged boys?  Smoke up a full brisket and watch it disappear by the end of the weekend.  Thanksgiving?  Is it enough to cook 2 birds?  Yikes.  I definitely do plan on cooking more once the boys start growing more.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Mine are nearly 13(next month) and 8. They eat constantly. They love the egg.
  • Ragtop99
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

Well they're 3 and 1, so they don't eat a lot... yet.  In the coming years, I expect them to start eating us out of house and home.  That's where I figure the Egg will come in more than handy.  You got teenaged boys?  Smoke up a full brisket and watch it disappear by the end of the weekend.  Thanksgiving?  Is it enough to cook 2 birds?  Yikes.  I definitely do plan on cooking more once the boys start growing more.
    2 boys in college and a teenage daughter.  All like the egg.  Got the unstated seal of approval when my oldest snap-chatted a picture of ribs coming off the egg to his friends.