Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket..

Options
tz666
tz666 Posts: 404
Did my first brisket Saturday evening and......It was good but not great. I rubbed it down in Honey Hog(all I had) and a few squirts of Siracha. We cooked dinner(another thread) and after I loaded egg up with charcoal and let it set for a while. When it settled about 225 an hour and a half later(around 10pm) I put the meat on raised indirect with fat cap down. We hung out for a while and all was good, I had a gap in the bottom vent that looked like you could put a quarter in it and maybe an 3/16 gap on daisy wheel. The adult beverages started to kick in and we all called it a night about 12 and when I woke up and checked it around 8am them on egg was 325 and internal meat temp was 205. I pulled it, foiled it, and threw it in oven to hold the heat and left it like that till about 1pm. All in all it taste good, the large end i cut unit slices and the smaller end i made bbq beef for sandwiches. This was a 15lb slab of meat and I would have liked to kept the temp lower and went longer on the pit. Now I guess I have to decide on which digital monitor to get for the next one.
Travis

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sorry it didn't turn out quite like you wanted. After a few failed overnight cooks I opted for the Stoker. I had been dialing in at 225℉-250℉ish and babysitting as best I could before. Several times waking up to a pit temp drop or spike. And when you're gonna entertain family and friends with a $50-$100+ brisket etc I hate to gamble on the overall outcome. A pit control can definitely help in this arena. You'll nail the next one boss.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options

I run w/o a controller and generally use the following script for low&slows when starting the night before:  Get the BGE lit and stabilized at around 250-280*F on the dome for around 2 hours or so, then toss the meat on.  I generally see about an hour/lb at 275*F on the dome-so I know about when to expect it to finish.  Then use FTC If necessary until time to slice and eat. 

BTW-I have used FTC for 7+ hours before with an el'cheapo Igloo cooler.  Pre-warmed the cooler with hot water and heated up some garage quality towels in the dryer, then double wrapped in foil and into the cooler with the towels-lowest meat temp upon removal was 152*F.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.