Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello Guys, my first question for you all is about some corian slabs I have a chance to pick up

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
edited December 2014 in EGG Table Forum
Greetings.  Not an egg owner yet, but it's in the works.  I have a chance to pick up some corian pieces - 7' x 30".  One of them would be the top and the other the bottom shelf for an BGE table.  I know a little about corian, having owned a kitchen design firm years ago - and I like the stuff.  I would prefer granite for a top, but I'm thinking the cutout for the Egg would make the piece kind of weak unless I went really wide with the top.  I'm planning out a patio remodel which will incorporate an egg as the main part of an outdoor kitchen.  I can pick up this corian for about 200$.  Should I jump on it?  Thanks for your replies and for all the info I've already picked up on this site.  This is really a great site, and hopefully I will be contributing shortly.

Oh, and second question - the patio may not be completed until fall.  I'm not sure I can wait that long to get the egg, since I'm pretty much obsessed.  Would it be dumb to get the egg with the wheeled nest now, or is it best to just wait until I get the patio finished with the table?
Phoenix 

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I bought my XL and sat it on a paver on a wooden box while I constructed my table. That was 3 years ago and there it still sits. I am too busy cooking on the EGG to build my table! I didn't buy the nest since I was building the table.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I bought my first egg 3 or 4 years ago and have gotten zero minutes of my table built. Don't let it hold you back [-X
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Boileregger
    Options
    My dad put a pot on a corian countertop with a thin potholder underneath. We heard a lout bang from the other room and went in to find that after a couple minutes sitting there the counter cracked. Don't know if it was defective or not, but with that experience I'd be nervous about it being close to the egg. But you probably know more about it than I do from your experience.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I had corian in my old place. It doesn't hold up to heat and it stains terribly, in my opinion. I don't know that I would trust it next to a hot egg. I prefer the nest myself and have moved my egg from a table back into the nest for safety reasons. I'm just going to build a stand alone work table.
    Dunedin, FL
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Take that 200.00 and put it to the purchase of the egg and nest. I have all my eggs in nests so I can move them around. Just my .02
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    One option is to put the egg in a nest and build two tables, one for each side of the egg. That way you can use your good corian deal, have a mobile egg, and not worry about heat damage. I personally would not pick corian (would rather have granite, which is what I did choose, or stainless steel).
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

We picked up some Corian countertops at a garage sale.  They were left over from a remodel job.  I used them to make my countertops in my outdoor kitchen, the Chicken Coop.  I liked that I could cut them with my woodworking equipment.  They worked out well over the years.

You can get some idea of how they look by watching this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5hA2tZmO2Q&list=UUd8OXP_tkp28l2eMVZJHBXg

Since then, I ran across a Craig's List ad in Houston that a guy was getting out of the business and had large and small pieces for sale @ $1.00 a square foot.  I bought a bunch of it to make other stuff with, including shelves and cutting boards and even some small pieces for birdhouses.  I still have a lot left and I'm trying hard to figure out what to use it for.

I have no problems cleaning it, although sometimes it does take a little more effort.  Mostly, just a damp paper towel wipe down does the trick. 

The only problem I had was finding the special Corian Glue that was recommended for joining two pieces.  I've since found some on ebay.

I say go for it...

Spring "Corian Rocks" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Depending on thickness of the material, I'd make sure there was some extra support under the corian, or even epoxy a 1x4 as a brace to the underside.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Little Steven
    Options
    The thing I would consider is setting a hot platesetter or pizza stone on it. I put a hot pot on MIL's brand new counter and it cracked. It was warrantied but in cold temps it could be worse.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sure do appreciate all the responses.  After hearing some of the cautionary tales, I think I'm going to go granite, and pass on the corian.  I did like the chicken coop video though - very cool place to have some alone time with your egg.  I've got friends in the granite business, so I doubt I'll have to spend more than $300 for a 84" x 30" table top.

And no, I don't think I'll wait to get the egg until fall.  I don't think I can wait that long.  As it is, I cook at least two meals a day on the weber, and each and every time I'm wishing for my new egg.

I definitely want it in a table though eventually.  I'm building a stand alone patio with a corrugated steel roof and bamboo back wall to put it against; so you kind of see the feel I'm going for.  I'm not limited with any space constraints, so I kind of want do do it up right.  I'll probably buy the nest with wheels even if it's only for a few months until the patio is completed.

I had a texter slam into me on the freeway and almost roll me.  I'm going to let him buy me my new egg (insurance settlement).  I kind of get off on the poetic justice of his insurance purchasing my new egg, so I'm going to wait until that comes in instead of using my own money.  Should happen by the end of Feb. if I can hold out that long.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Corian is fine, just like wood - you don't want to put anything hotter than a few hundred degrees on it. Plenty of wood tables out there.  I have one, and no problems, just keep idiots away from jobs like removing a hot plate setter.  Granite is obviously superior, and given all the remnants you can buy cheap, I'd hold out for that. 

I almost got hit by a guy not paying attention - decided to move into my lane today with no blinker.  In all fairness, I wasn't next to him a second before he decided to switch lanes because I was hauling ass (but in my lane to the left of him).  It was satisfying to see him freak out and spill some massive coffee drink as he jerked the wheel back into his lane.  I always use my blinkers, don't even talk on the phone while driving and keep track of everything 360 degrees around me in case I need to make an emergency maneuver. 

Welcome to the forum.