Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let prime rib roast come to room temp or not?

Options
Got a seven pound boneless rib roast salted and peppered in the fridge for dinner this evening. Should I take it out of the fridge now and let it warm up to room temp or go straight from fridge to 300* Egg?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I always go straight to the BGE.  To truly get the hunk of beef warmed to room temp would take many hours.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...BTW-great eats await!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Yeah, that's kind of the way I'm leaning, it's the MIL's birthday so doing prime rib and salmon for dinner this evening.  It will be fantastic.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I see no real difference as for the entire thing to come to room temp would take a few hours. I'd rather have it wrapped with my string and cold to hold its shape as long as possible so it develops crust in that position. Then again I've never done a Prime Rib so why am I babbling like I know something. Lol B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Low and slow; I don't think it matters much as the outside temperature and the inner temperature will both rise gradually.

Cooking at 300* or above I would set it out, covered, to raise the temperature of the center of the roast to match the outside. That will allow the roast to be more uniform. On the other hand, some people like their meat cooked more than others. Cooking it cold will allow the roast to have the ends at medium rare vs the middle at rare. How you do the roast may depend on how you want to serve the final product.

• rosem
    rosem Posts: 48
    Options
    If you have the time I think it's a no brainer. If you're pressed for time I wouldn't lose sleep over it.