Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Turkey

Options
First post on the forum. I decided to do a cranberry juice brine like I do every year for a while for the holidays. This time I decided to put the brine in the freezer instead of putting it in ice. The turkey came out of the brine pink. It still tasted wonderful. Just looked funny. What kind of brine recipie is popular with you guys to avoid the pink looking meat?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome. I wish I could help but I've never brined a turkey. The cranberry juice brine sounds good. If it tasted wonderful I wouldn't worry about the color.
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome to the fun. +1 with what @Tjcoley‌ said.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome...Glad the pink bird tasted great...If you type Brine in the forum search box...pour yourself an adult beverage an enjoy the ride... :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No brine
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Matt6060
    Options
    The reason why I've always done a brine is because I can over cook the breast just a tinge without drying it out so the dark meat is fully cooked.
  • Matt6060
    Options
    I usually mix the cranberry juice with ice to dilute the brine. This time I just added more cranberry juice and you can see in the pic it's quite pink. It taste the same as usual so I don't think I'll be doing that again. Thanks for the help. Always looking for new ideas.