Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL BGE is cracked... Again!

Options
I was cleaning out my egg in preparation for a Christmas prime rib cook. I removed the fire ring and fire box and noticed a huge crack in the base. The crack runs down the back of the base from about 4-5" from the top and continues across the bottom, splits into two cracks and stops about 2" from the bottom vent. I just replaced this base in July (under warranty).  I didn't do any high temp cooks since I installed the new base. I have a good dealer, and hopefully will be able to get this base replaced under warranty. But, has anyone had a similar experience, or know why this would have happened so soon? 

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hmm...very similar timeline for cracks on my XL here.

June:

This week:

And I haven't been using my XL for high temps either since I got my Blackstone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • matt121966
    Options
    Wow, alot of people reporting cracks. My XL is about three weeks old with probably 15 cooks so far. I'll have to check mine out tonight.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am definitely going to check mine more often now. Only reason I checked last night was because of @DMW post earlier this week. Sure enough I found one on the bottom. Haven't cleaned it out to check the inside yet.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Is this only happening with the bigger Eggs or does it happen on the Smalls and Minis too? Just curious.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    You can ride that crack out for a while imo with no issues, in case you don't want to go through the process right away again...
    Seattle, WA
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌ - They all Crack. You just have to make certain to check periodically. It sucks but it should be a routine with ceramic cookers. It's about time I check mine.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Wow, alot of people reporting cracks. My XL is about three weeks old with probably 15 cooks so far. I'll have to check mine out tonight.

Ditto..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Seems the XL's crack more then the L's. I know the sell more L's, but cracks in those don't seem to be reported as often on this forum. Anyone have,any data to support this observation?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    GATABITES ,
    Re: "They all Crack"

I have to disagree with this statement since I have two BGEs I purchased in the late nineties that have yet to crack. I fire both of them up above 800 degrees at least twice per week. This is more than the luck of the draw.

Big Green Egg has clearly changed the composition of the mixture used to make their eggs. Even though they have a lifetime warranty, it is a pain to have to disassemble then re-assemble so often due to poor quality.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @nolan8v‌ - I was referring to rickey question about which size cracks more than others hence my"All sizes" Crack comment.

So are you saying that it isn't possible for your older egg to Crack? If it's made of ceramic it can Crack. Depends on several variables. When shopping for cookers a couple years ago the egg wasn't even considered until after Iearned about the lifetime warranty on ceramics. Without it I wouldn't have invested. The first thing I thought about was the egg cracking after the investment.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @nolan8v‌ you must have special eggs because I have cracked 3 bases all from around 2005 range not the newer ones. And yes they all crack I have have a cracked mini base in the garage right now I'm gonna turn into a planter and had a large and medium crack in the last couple years.