Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib @ Costco?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
I did a search but didn't find too many posts about the quality of Costco Prime Rib, and how it comes (bone-in or boned)?

It's a pricey cut so I was hoping to save some $ and pick it up at Costco.   I know I can also get it at the local Amish market, which is always great meat...but it ain't cheap.

Thanks for any tips!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    We do a lot of our meat shopping at our Costco.........never a disappointment.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's great. Along with the rest of their meat, I always find a nicely-marbled choice grade cut. Comes in boneless and bone-in, bone-in being cheaper. They typically offer the whole side in cryo or 2-4 bone cuts in shrink wrap from ribs 6-12. You could also specify a cut with the cutters there(in regards to chuck end or loin end). Your store may vary on the bone part and you may even find prime grade.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks!

So if I have a chioce, which end is better for making a standard prime rib?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    Options
    +1 for good experiences with Costco meat. Doing a prime rib for Xmas here too but it's just 3ppl. I really wanted prime grade to see if it's even better than choice as I'm hooked on Costco's prime Rib eyes. They have prime grade beef rib but smallest they had was a 15lb vac-pack boneless roast for $175. I'm all for having leftovers but that was too much. Was bummed that the butcher would not cut it up.

Ended up with a 3 rib 5.5lb prime from Whole Foods for $19/lb
    BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    My costco had a good variety - choice and prime, bone in and boneless, and tenderloins.  I went with a 10# choice bone in. It looks really great.  choice was about $10/lb, prime was about $20/lb.  Haven't cooked one on the egg yet.  I'm planning to give it a rub of salt, pepper and herbs tomorrow and cook Xmas eve, low and slow to 120, pull, and perhaps give the ends a sear depending on how it all looks.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Depends on what your looking  for in regards to the end of the rib roast. The Chuck end(rib#6-9) will have more flavor overall due to the higher fat content, but the loin end(10-12) will be more lean and tender since this area of the muscle is worked less. The latter is referred to as the "first cut" and the former is the "second cut". I prefer the second cut(chuck end) because it has a larger portion of the spinalis dorsi muscle - the best part of the entire cow.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    This is the best time of the year for Prime Rib roast at Costco. Usually have your choice of Choice or Prime, Bone-in or not, as well as the seasoned ones with the whole cloves of garlic between the bones and the roast itself.
    Never disappointed. Usually look for a good Choice rather than Prime.
    South SLO County
  • matt121966
    Options
    I always do well with Costco meets. 

Did a boneless standing rib roast maybe two weeks ago - Excellent.

I really like their NY strips. Good quality. On ocassion I'll get one that is maybe a 1/2" thinner than the rest but generally all very good.

Hamburg is good as well.

Never tried the prime - always happy with the choice.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I saw this a couple of weeks ago and my first thought was it was a typo but then I read the description: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I think I know what I'll be ordering when I win it big in the Lottery. :D

To the OP, sorry my only cost savings tip to you is DON'T order the one pictured.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    Options
    Lmao. I have this vision of a 10# wagyu roast sitting in a first class seat from Tokyo to you local Costco.
    BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Costco meat is decent, and for the price, it's tough to beat. That said, after we saw a documentary on the health risks of mechanically tenderized meats (Costco being one of many that tenderize their meats in house), I never bought beef there again. Not hating on Costco at all, I think they've got great products and I still shop there for many other things. Just something to be mindful of. I'm now strictly a butcher shop guy, where I have assurance that the cuts have not been mechanically tenderized. Not sure if this video will be viewable from US IP addresses, but I'll give it a shot. 

Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I agree about the concern on mechanically tenderized meat.  Anything from Costco in a cryovac package is not tenderized, so that is what I buy and do the trimming, etc. myself.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA