Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can I cure Montreal Smoked Meat 6.5 days instead of 10?

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited December 2014 in Beef
I started curing a small 11 lb brisket for Montreal Smoked Meat following @biggreenmatt 's recipe:
This is my second attempt, came out real nice first time. 

Due to rescheduling, I don't have enough time for the full 10-day cure.  Wondering what if it's cured for 6.5 days only ???  May have to serve something else if taking this short cut is not a good idea.  Thanks for any advice.

Edit: btw, it's vacuum sealed.
canuckland

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ive seen recipes for 7 days on corned beef with dry cures, but they cut the brisket into 3 pound pieces before applying the cure
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Thanks @fishlessman, if I'm not mistaken it's the thickness that counts?  the thickest part of my brisket is about 2.25-2.5" ... you just lit a light bulb for me, perhaps I can rush-cook just the thinner half for the party, won't need all of it anyway since I'll be serving multiple main proteins.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i know my butcher does it in 7 days as well but he uses a brine, just kosher salt and spice, no cure and just does flats, no points
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it