Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just used my Amaze n smoker...

Options
Cold smoked some cheese for the first time. (Cheddar, Jarlsberg, Mozz, Gruyere, Fontina and Gouda... Threw on a pancetta as well for kicks...

I smoke the cheese for a little over 3 hours.  Too much smoke or too little.  I see so many different recommendations for 1-6 hours of smoke.   I was planning on pulling the mozz off earlier, but it started to rain and became too lazy...

Also, for packaging, I wrapped in parchment paper and ziplock bag... Is that good enough?  (Don't have a vacuum sealer)

Also, do you think the cheese would be mellow enough by Xmas?

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    FWIW - I've smoked cheese from 1 to 2 hours. IMHO 2 hours was almost too much if you want to taste it within 4 weeks. The longer you smoke, the longer it needs to mellow. 
    ZipLock bags work as long as you suck all the air out. 
    I just ate vacuum sealed cheese from last December. Zero mold. It was extraordinary. 
    Invest in a vacuum sealer for other food storing as well. It's worth the investment if you have a freezer.  
    But don't freeze the cheese. ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ