Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven chicken

Does anyone have a recipe for doing a whole chicken in a cast iron Dutch oven on the egg

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I'll be watching this too! 

New Albany, Ohio 

• Almost everyone is doing poultry Spatchcock.  Best way IMO.  Not sure why one would do them in a DO.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Any particular reason you want to use a DO? I do my whole chickens in a CI skillet, get the egg to 425, preheat the skillet for 15-20 minutes, add the whole chicken, cook for about an hour until breast IT is 165.

If it was enameled you could do coq au vin on the egg, just find a good recipe and adapt for the egg.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I've done plenty of spatchcock, whole indirect. I do thighs, wings all the time. Just like to try different methods. Didn't start cooking it yet so it could go anyway. It's been marinating in the shed fowl play. Since last night
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I'm sure you could cook in a chicken broth, carrot, onion, celery brew with select spices/rub.  Would serve as a great base for gravy for mashed potatoes too. Sounds like a good cold wet rain cook. 

Not sure how long it would take at a 3000-325 simmer. Check out the pot roast recipe I just did. 
    Search pot roast dutch oven. You could braise the bird and eliminate the beef broth part of the recipe. That was a 6 hour cook.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Google "French chicken in a pot recipe", but frankly I way prefer spatch...
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I make this often - sometimes in the oven or on the egg. The only change I make to the recipe is I cook at 325. French Chicken in a Pot (aka Dutch Oven) Author: The Barefoot Cook Recipe type: Entree Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 110 mins Total time: 2 hours Serves: 4 Ingredients 1 whole roasting chicken (4½ to 5 pounds), giblets removed, wings tucked in 2 teaspoons good salt ¼ teaspoon ground black or white pepper 2 tablespoons butter, coconut oil, ghee, palm oil, lard, chicken fat or duck fat 1 small onion , rough chopped (about ½ cup) 1 small stalk celery , rough chopped (about ¼ cup) 6 medium garlic cloves, skin removed 1 bay leaf 1 medium sprig fresh rosemary (optional) ½ - 1 teaspoon juice from 1 lemon Instructions Part 1 Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper (this is a very essential step for proper browning). Heat fat of choice in large Dutch oven over medium heat until just smoking. Add chicken breast-side down; scatter onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary around chicken. Cook until breast is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Using a wooden spoon inserted into cavity of bird, flip chicken breast-side up and cook until chicken and vegetables are well browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat; place large sheet of foil over pot and cover tightly with lid. Transfer pot to oven and cook until instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in thickest part of breast and 175 degrees in thickest part of thigh, 80 to 110 minutes. Part 2: Transfer chicken to carving board, tent with foil, and rest 20 minutes. Meanwhile, strain chicken juices from pot through fine-mesh strainer into fat separator, pressing on solids to extract liquid; discard solids (you should have about ¾ cup juices). Allow liquid to settle 5 minutes, then pour into saucepan and set over low heat. Carve chicken, adding any accumulated juices to saucepan. Stir lemon juice into jus to taste. Serve chicken, passing jus at table. Enjoy! Recipe by The Barefoot Cook at http://thebarefootcook.com/french-chicken-in-a-pot-aka-dutch-oven/ I hate when the iPad runs everything together.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Google Romertopf whole chicken. The Romertopf is a clay cooker with lid. I've had one for years, since long before the egg, but mostly use if for pot roasts. There are a number of recipes for whole chickens though and I imagine they would be equally good in a DO in the egg.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    What are you looking for on the chicken? If you use liquid it will be like a boiled chicken. Or are you looking for something different? I and several others here do a splayed chicken in a CI skillet ( thanks @nolaegghead ). You could do it in a DO as well.
    Here is a link to the last one I did.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174244/my-preferred-method-over-spatching#latest

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Do,a,search. Several have posted on this.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I ended up spatchcock because I had it marinating overnight. And most Dutch oven recipes didn't sound like they would work with it. I'm gonna try grannyx4 recipe this weekend. Thanks for all the advice