Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Snow fence with burnt bacon

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
After stringing up snow fence in several different spots, my driveway is snow free. Yard looks like a maze, but I might have found a solution for the snow drifts in the driveway. It's hard to get excited because it's a small amount of snow, but the drifts are starting to form from the little bit of wind last night. Last year the drifts were high enough the dogs could walk over the fence. I think the drift is going to stop just outside of the fence.

Also, for those of you that think the egg is so forgiving and everything comes out great, I burnt bacon this morning. Expensive bacon at that. I thought using the iGrill 2 was great because I can egg without running in and out to check the egg. Usually, I would check on the egg and take a quick peek at the food. Well, this morning I was happy because I set the temp range and no alarm meant egg was doing okay. Duh! Just because the egg's okay doesn't mean the foods okay. Oh well, stuck eating charred bacon this morning.

Here's some pics of my snow free driveway and burnt bacon. Not the best pics I've posted, but something to look at. imageimageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,083
    I'd eat that!
    Not a felon
  • Legume
    What is this 'snow' thing you speak of?
    Not a felon
  • stemc33
    Legume said:
    What is this 'snow' thing you speak of?

That's why I posted it. No snow in the driveway.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @stenc33 ... love the night time spark pictures with the egg.  They would make a great screen saver.

One of my other hobbies is flying kites ... attached is a picture of the kite I was flying along side about 17 other folks ... a Revolution kite is on the end of every four lines in the picture.  Like the spark pictures, the line pictures are a moment in time that we sometimes overlook.  The picture was taken by John Chilese who is a semi-pro kiting photographer.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    So you are (more or less) creating snow drifts where you want them instead of where they would normally be? 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stemc33
    @Jeepster47‌, that's pretty cool. When I lived at the beach in SoCal, they had some great kite festivals. I was amazed at the skill level some of those guys had.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Hi54putty said:

So you are (more or less) creating snow drifts where you want them instead of where they would normally be? 

That's the idea, but every time I put up a fence it creates a problem somewhere else.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    stemc33 said:
    @Jeepster47‌, that's pretty cool. When I lived at the beach in SoCal, they had some great kite festivals. I was amazed at the skill level some of those guys had.
    Funny you should mention living in SoCal, 'cuz that's where the Revolution kite was invented in the late 1980's.  The inventors still live in the San Diego area.  They and a number of other kiters fly down by the ships.  The photo above was taken at Huntington Beach during Kite Party ... come there on the second weekend in March and we'll recreate it for you. 

• Doesn't look burnt to me, you should see how my wife likes it cooked...... :(

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe and Black Stone

• stemc33

stemc33 said:

Funny you should mention living in SoCal, 'cuz that's where the Revolution kite was invented in the late 1980's.  The inventors still live in the San Diego area.  They and a number of other kiters fly down by the ships.  The photo above was taken at Huntington Beach during Kite Party ... come there on the second weekend in March and we'll recreate it for you. 

Here's a pic at Seal Beach, a few beaches up from Huntington. @Jeepster47‌. When I was standing on the pier, the competitors would briefly land the kites on the handrail of the pier and resume flight. Phenomenal control.
    I think this was in 2008. This pic doesn't show the magnitude of the event we attended. Don't remember the month.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    "semi-pro kiting photographer"

This is a thing? Are there pro-kiting photographers?

I do love the pic but can't imagine that wasnt a huge tangle disaster. I'm sure it wasn't, just hard to imagine not being a kiter myself.

Great to see Seal Beach, I spent a fair amount of time in that area long ago.
    Not a felon
  • stemc33
    Legume said:

"semi-pro kiting photographer"

This is a thing? Are there pro-kiting photographers?

I do love the pic but can't imagine that wasnt a huge tangle disaster. I'm sure it wasn't, just hard to imagine not being a kiter myself.

Great to see Seal Beach, I spent a fair amount of time in that area long ago.

@Legume‌, Navy???
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    edited December 2014
    Legume said:
    "semi-pro kiting photographer" This is a thing? Are there pro-kiting photographers? I do love the pic but can't imagine that wasnt a huge tangle disaster. I'm sure it wasn't, just hard to imagine not being a kiter myself. Great to see Seal Beach, I spent a fair amount of time in that area long ago.
    @Legume ... Not his main occupation, but John takes kiting pictures all over the southwest ... he's damn good, but mostly donates his photo talent to supporting the kiting forums and clubs ... usually puts together a kiting calender with the proceeds supporting one of the forums ... etc. 

The cost of the lines in the picture, in total, is more than a decked out XL egg ... talk about pressure when you first start flying in a group.  Once in awhile a mistake is made, but no one gets upset and we've always gotten them untangled.  Rev fliers, like the folks on this forum, simply love what they do and want others to participate and enjoy it also.

@stemc33 ... Have friends who attend the Seal Beach festival ... we haven't yet.  We go to Kite Party in the spring and Long Beach, Washington, in the fall.  LB becomes a kiting town for one week in August ... about one mile of the beach is filled with kites all week long.  We have some retired friends who simply drive up and down the coast attending festivals.

Okay, now I've really stolen your thread ... sorry ... please don't ask about geocaching or the moderators will throw me off the forum.

• Legume
    @stemc33 no, civilian but graduated from UCI.  Then girlfriend - now wife - was going to CSULB so I was everywhere in between for a number of years.
    Not a felon
  • Legume
    ...and now back to sparks from a searing inferno

Not a felon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looks like some good and crispy bacon. Just how I prefer it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    Looks like some good and crispy bacon. Just how I prefer it.

That's what my wife said and I believe her because she ate a few extra pieces. Sometimes I make the best meal ever and the feedback is "it's okay". It's okay and a small helping means it's not hitting her taste buds the way the food is hitting mine.

I went out to see if any drifts were forming from the snow fence and decided to make her some breakfast. I'm glad she liked it, I like my bacon slightly chewy, but doneness for me cannot have the rubbery fat texture. This bacon was definitely overdone.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • I'm with Husker and your wife. That looks pretty darn good to me. I like it nice and crispy.