Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your favorites sides to serve with Christmas dinner prime rib?

Options
Recipes appreciated.  TIA

Comments

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options

I am going to do the Pioneer Woman's 9 hour burgundy mushrooms as a side this year.Saw it on her Christmas episode. Remembered seeing it mentioned on here previously with favorable reviews.

Jim

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Twice baked potatoes using smoked Gouda was a hit last year
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As mentioned baked potatoes & burgundy mushrooms- lot of work but to die for.  DO NOT do in crock pot the flavor is not the same. 3-4 oz baby lobster tails, asparageese, brussel sprouts plenty of  Tiger sauce the one made with either sour cream/mayo and horse radish.

RRP has some great notes in this post for mushrooms.  

I like to get them in 10# case lots from my local produce wholesaler
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    This is going to be a side for us, either Xmas eve or the day itself.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/bacon-braised-green-bean-recipe.html

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Red potatoes cut in half with skin on, boil until soft.  Add horse radish  and sour cream.  Preheat a cast iron skillet in the oven.  spread the potatoes in the skillet and cook until crispy  on top.  Easy and taste's great. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    This isn't really a side, but I have an au jus recipe I keep tweaking that really enhances the meat and the presentation. It also is great to use for a Bloody Bull. Can't get to the recipe right this minute, but will post it later.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Blistered potatoes - lots of ways to do them, but basically toss in evoo, kosher salt and whatever herbs you want, then roast hot for a long time - like 90-120 minutes at 375. Works really well with smaller potatoes or quartered larger ones. Just stir them around once in a while. They crust up really nicely and stay tender on the inside. We use garlic and rosemary usually.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RRP said:
    This isn't really a side, but I have an au jus recipe I keep tweaking that really enhances the meat and the presentation. It also is great to use for a Bloody Bull. Can't get to the recipe right this minute, but will post it later.

Here it is from a few tweaks ago.  Has it changed much since then?
    Beef, Prime Rib, Roast, Au Jus, RRP

It's a basic recipe that I got off the Internet years ago, but have tweaked 9 times now so I believe I can sort of lay claim to it! An earlier version is also posted on Thirdeye's site.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 14 Ozs Box Swanson Beef Broth (box – not the can)
    1 10 1/2 Ozs Can Campbell's French Onion soup
    1/2 Can of the soup can cold water
    1/2 tsp white sugar
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    2 Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cubes

PROCEDURE:

1. Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then strain and discard onions. Serve au jus dipping sauce hot.

Yield: 3 Cups

Recipe Type: Beef, Main Dish, Sauce

Tips
    Can be made 2 days ahead. Makes 3 cups

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 2010/10/03

Author Notes
    2012/09/26--RRP--Thanks for posting, Richard. Since then I've tweaked it more and dropped the sugar all together, replaced it with 1/2 tea celery salt, doubled the garlic salt to 1 full tea, plus doubled the bouillon cubes to 4.

It still makes a great Bloody Bull too!

• RRP
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks Richard, but here is my latest work in progress - as simple as it is!

RRP's Au Jus Recipe - Version # ? - 12-12-14

This began as a basic recipe off internet which I tweaked many many times so it's mine! LOL

1  14 oz Swanson Beef Broth (box – not the can)

1  10-1/2 ounce can of Campbell's French Onion soup

½  of the soup can cold water

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1  teaspoon of garlic salt

1/2 tea ground garlic

2   Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cubes OR 1 T Pensey’s Beef Soup Starter

Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then
strain and discard onions.  Serve au jus dipping sauce hot. Can be made 2
days ahead.  Makes 3 cups. BTW I also make a batch of this and then pour
    it in large ice cube trays. Two melted cubes make a wonderful Bloody Bull!
  • RRP
    Options
    Then for horseradish that won't knock your taste buds out of line:

Mix equal parts of prepared horseradish and sour cream and half as much half & half. Add a dash or two of salt and mix well. Best if you make and refrigerate a day in advance.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    @RRP it is a great aujus recipe. I make it often. My tweaks are a little red wine and 1/2 stick of butter. Happy eating ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !