Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Pork

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
First try at the infamous Costco Rack of Pork. We went to my in-laws for dinner and an evening in the hot tub. We took the rack of pork along (I seasoned with Carolina Seasoning from the Holland Grill Co.) and my father-in-law had his egg all hot and ready to go when we got there. I threw in 4 chunks of hickory and a drip pan on the plate setter, grabbed a beer and jumped in the hot tub with the Maverick monitoring the cook. 

When it hit 110 degrees on the Mav, I brushed on some of @Cen-Tex's honey mustard glaze. I put on one more coat when it hit 130 and pulled it off to rest. I think the smoke and the glaze gave it the dark color.  15 minutes later internal temp was 140 and we cut into the goodness. Super-easy cook and the family said it was the best pork they had ever eaten. I'll take that! (Sorry - forgot plated pics as we had 6 hungry kids and 5 hungry adults)

Thanks for all the tips from the pro's here.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! I have a very similar cook planned for Sunday.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks @DMW. It was an easier cook than burgers. It had a nice little smoke ring and great moisture. I'm headed to Costco for another one tomorrow. Probably make one for Christmas I think. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Now wait just a moment....11 hungry mouths to feed..Wow I am sure SGH will have something to say about that Rack...Jokes aside that looks Awesome, and sounds so easy..Off to Costco at sun up. Thanks for sharing..Great post. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Very nice. Need to try this myself.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I have been thinking about this upcoming cook..Question @minniemoh where did you have the Mav probe and did the whole rack turn out juicy...Thanks..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Nice cook, simple and great results. Can't beat that.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Gosh....that looks splendid....
    Everyday another recipe and idea.shows...I love this place.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love the rack of pork, I have another one in the freezer I will pull the next one off at 130 as 140 was too long. Glad you enjoyed it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, the Costco rack of pork was one of the best ideas picked up from the forum.  Your cook looks good ... wheres the picture of the cut piece?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The color is great.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments guys. I really appreciate it. 

@johnmitchell - I put the probe in from the end right through the center of the loin. The Mav probes are quite long so it nearly reached to the center of the roast. As far as juicy, it was incredibly juicy.... every single slice! 

@Jeepster47 - I'm sorry but my father-in-law took the picture on his phone and then he took some video of my commentary (that I didn't know about!) I'll take a plated shot on the next one. As far as the 11 hungry mouths, the kids loved it but they're pretty young and don't eat much yet so we still had one chop left. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    I left mine on a little too long at 140 but still delicious. Not as rare as I like it but very moist and delicious. Pork is usually dry...not this one! Another great idea and cook courtesy of the forum!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.