Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You had me at "simple"

Options
Jeepster47
Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
@Mattman3969 posted a cook yesterday titled "So Simple But Yet Very Tasty" (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174455/so-simple-but-yet-very-tasty) that caught my interest.  It IS both simple and tasty ... my wife gave the sauce a double thumbs up. If she's happy, my life is good ... so, thanks Matt.

Supplies were gathered in one stop with both the sauce and the chicken stocked in Wally World.  Fired up the egg, threw on some foil wrapped baking potatoes and cooked at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes.  Then threw two chicken breasts marinated with peanut sauce and two covered with lemon pepper on the grill ... still at 425 degree.  Flipped the chicken when the IT hit 110 degrees and took them out when they hit 165 degrees ... should have pulled at about 155 or 160 degrees.

On the grill ... no peanuts for this cook:

And, on the plate ... not a very fancy setup, but very good:

Only have two questions from this cook:

1) Why do baked potatoes taste so good coming off the BGE?  They're wrapped tightly in tin foil, so no smoke gets to the potato.  They should taste the same as baked in the oven ... yes?  But, they taste better ... why?

2) How do others catch the correct internal temp?  Guess, Maverick, other method?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice looking meal. I think potatoes are better because they are not dried out. The stove is dry heat and the egg is not, IMHO. On the chicken temps, I flip every 10 mins or so and start checking temps on the 3rd flip. The last few degrees will go fast so you gotta keep an eye on it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think the potato taste was either your imagination or you just nailed the cooking.  Chicken breasts - unless you're smoking them low n slow, I pull them at 145.  They'll rise up to 155 or more.  They cook fast.
    Do you have a thermapen?

Good cook man.

XLBGE 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice cook - looks very tasty!

Why do you wrap the potatoes in tin foil? We tend to like them better rubbed with EVOO and dusted with garlic powder and cook indirect at 350-400 until 200+ degrees internals. I don't think you can make one in the oven as good. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse ... I have a pen and use it to double check ... the Maverick is so I don't have to keep peeking. @minniemoh ,,, with foil the timing isn't critical ... they can stay in a little longer without drying out. Will try without foil the next time. Approximately how long at 375? @nolaegghead‌ ... First time with chicken breasts ... Went slow to about 145 and then very fast.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Jeepster47 of course it depends on the size of your taters but around an hour seems to get them pretty close - give or take. I think they're still pretty forgiving without foil but I'm no pro. We often make extras for leftovers. We like to fry the leftovers as American fries for breakfast or cut them into wedges and then fry in a skillet with a little butter for some mighty fine fries. I'll have to post a cook soon. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    I actually did the same meal last night.  I copied @Mattman3969 exactly with lettuce wraps and carrots.

It was good but I think the peanut sauce I found could have been better.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Hwkfan
    Options
    When in foil, the pototos are steamed a little. Without foil they are truly "baked". The skin crisps up better without foil.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Nice cook Jeepster...I'm going to try this soon ..maybe tonight. How long did you marinate?
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @piney ... about a hour.  With the chicken, I was afraid that the sauce would be overpowering.  But it was almost too mild.  My suggestion is to cross cut the surface like @Mattman3969 did and marinate for more than an hour.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's no difference between meat and potatoes when it comes to cooking them with foil.  I will not elaborate any further because we all know about foiling meat.
    Options
    I think potatoes are better because they are not dried out. The stove is dry heat and the egg is not, IMHO.  

True for an electric oven, not so with a gas oven.  
    ;)

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• RickyBobby
    Options
    I never foil potatoes on the Egg ... rub them with EVOO and season. They always turn out great!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax