Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jeepster & DigiQ - Up in flames

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    dstearn said:
    It looks like you have the adapter installed the wrong way. Turn it once to the right and you should have a tighter fit.
    A quarter turn and the adapter is too tall to fit the slides ... so, at least I got the orientation correct.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Here is how it should look....

BBQ GURU INSTRUCTIONS
    So he is missing the expansion clip
    No, I can see the expansion clip, he just hasn't positioned everything correctly to close the gaps.

I just did a 250 degree cook today with my Digi-Q, smoking up some pastrami, sliced pics tomorrow.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It's not to tall. Just got to get it in there
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    Ok, I had to leave work EARLY to get these EMERGENCY pics to ya, but here is how mine looks....

And here is is with it installed...

And this is how it looks when I am ready to fire this baby up!

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @TheShaytoon ... great pics ... thanks.

One thing I noticed, is that you slide the screen closed, install the adapter plate, and then, slide the solid door over the adapter plate.  I'll try that!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @TheShaytoon ... great pics ... thanks.

One thing I noticed, is that you slide the screen closed, install the adapter plate, and then, slide the solid door over the adapter plate.  I'll try that!!
    <br/ Tom has it already been mentioned that the plate is not square, but rectangular. When I use mine one way it is fine, but if I turned it 90 degrees I'd have the big gaping holes you did! BTW I don't even use the spacer thing you are showing ! Turned properly it fills the opening with no gaps!
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @jeepster47 yeah you should slide the screen closed for SURE first, then fit the adapter.

@rrp I hear what you are saying, but when I rotate the adapter 90 degrees, I dont know how I can get it in the channels...

Dallas, TX

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Opps ... I stand corrected ... it does look like it will fit that way.

Is your egg in a nest?  It looks like I'd have to remove the egg from the nest to insert the adapter plate ... or at least spin it a little to get clearance.  Spinning it won't work with a nest handler installed.  I think that's why the slide plate came about.

• grege345
    Options
    I also turn it 90°. I slide out the solid door and the screen. Slide in guru then slide in full door. I'd take a pic but its cold out there. Brrrr

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @grege345 ... nest or free standing?

• RRP
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No my egg is in a table, but I just took a flat bladed screwdriver and gently bent or "flared out" if you will the two left ends of the grooves. That allows the plate to rise slightly and slip over the two bolt heads and slip right in the grooves top and bottom.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    sideways is for larger openings like on the XL
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    RRP said:
    No my egg is in a table, but I just took a flat bladed screwdriver and gently bent or "flared out" if you will the two left ends of the grooves. That allows the plate to rise slightly and slip over the two bolt heads and slip right in the grooves top and bottom.
    I see! But then you do not have the screen behind the adapter....

Dallas, TX

• grege345
    Options
    No nest. For the record I like what @TheShaytoon‌ did. I guess the directions are good for somethin

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    I see! But then you do not have the screen behind the adapter....

no I have the screen, but merely slide it to the left out of the way and then insert the BBQ guru plate and snug the screen frame and solid door up against the edge.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @ RRP ... the leg of the nest interferes with sliding the adapter plate into the door grooves when it's standing tall ... go up a few posts and see @TheShaytoon picture.

@grege345 ... you were right about the adapter fitting in the grooves standing tall.  But, TheShaytoon's positioning of the screen is not in the directions, that's why I'm interested in trying it.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I guess I have never closed the screen behind the adapter. Hadn't thought about trying that. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • dboram
    dboram Posts: 54
    Options
    I used my Smokware Flame Boss this weekend (for the first time) and had a frustrating experience keeping the temp from rising until I determined that the Smokeware cap was leaking and closed it completely. With the leakage, my LBGE held 230 perfectly for the rest of the cook (pork spare ribs...mmmmm). I am going to try it with the screen door closed next time and see if that makes a difference.
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    I was just checking out the fit of my adapter and I don't really see the need to close the screen on the back of the adapter. For one, it would seem to me that it will force the fan to work that much harder to get the air in. And secondly, the adapter is stainless and the fan coupler is aluminum so there's really no risk of a coal damaging any of that. The slide control on the fan unit has such a small opening that it would take a "magic ember" to ever make it into there in my opinion. The ember would have to fall perfectly into the fan coupler, travel and inch and a half, and then jump up and fit through a keyhole to even have a slim chance to cause a problem.  
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It goes long way across not long way vertical. I used to set low like 200 then go to 225 then 250 but now I usually just get it going and add the guru when the egg hits 225 or so. If you mix in wood then hook up a guru it gets too much burning then you end up sitting there for an hour waiting for clear smoke. Best way I found is fill the egg with lump/wood and light and then set the vents to slowly come to temp and make a drink and prep your food.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This is starting to remind me of the scene in the movie "City Slickers" where they're trying to explain setting the clock on the VCR.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @GATraveller - Now THAT'S funny!  =))
    eggAddict from MN!
  • THE DRU
    Options
    The plate that fits in the bottom vent opening is designed to fit Large eggs one way and XL eggs if you rotate it. The way it is in the photo, that is for XL, rotate it 1/4 turn and it will fit your Large.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• Jeepster47
    Options

THE DRU said:
    The plate that fits in the bottom vent opening is designed to fit Large eggs one way and XL eggs if you rotate it. The way it is in the photo, that is for XL, rotate it 1/4 turn and it will fit your Large.
    @RRP made the point that he uses his with the long side positioned vertically, without using the expansion clip.  But, the key is that RRP doesn't have his large egg in a nest.  With the large egg (other sizes also I'm guessing) in a nest, the egg containment leg interferes with sliding the adapter plate into the door guides from the end.

I think you're right in which orientation goes with which egg size ... if you use the expansion clip.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    So I just went and looked at mine and it looks like they changed the design. I knew mine fits my large but not my XL and it turns out mine is perfectly square. I have used silver tape before to make it work on the XL.
  • Jeepster47
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Lit ... mine is only a few months old ... the adapter plate measures 3-5/16" by 2-13/16". 

It will fit perfectly, standing on end, without the expansion clip if the *&$% egg containment leg didn't interfere with sliding it into the end of the door glides.  I remember reading a review where that was a major complaint ... which I assumed was the reason for the expansion clip.

• Jeepster47
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @TheShaytoon ... I played with the adapter today while the egg was cold.  Looks like the secret for me is:

1) Bend the stop tab on the door frame outward to about 70 degrees ... makes it easier to crowd the adapter over the end of the door guide opening.

2) Close the screen ... the middle reinforcing strip on the screen does partially block the outlet.  However, I have 10cfm fan and most off the time it needs to be throttle down ... I'll just throttle it down a little less to compensate for the reinforcing strip and the screening.

3) Bend the right side of the adapter plate a little.  I followed your example, but only curved the right hand side to allow the solid door to slide easily over that end.

4) Install the slide clip on the adapter plate, move it even with the left side, insert the assembly into the door guides, and slide the assembly to the left up against the stop tab.  Slide the slide clip up into the door guide grooves.

5) Slide the solid door over the top of the right side of the adapter plate ... the solid door will stop at the mounting tube and the end of the slide clip.

Lots of verbiage for a simple process, but maybe it'll help someone else from messing it up.

So, thanks for the input and the pictures.  I'm now looking forward to the next opportunity to use the DigiQ.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I didn't read any of the above but looking at the pictures it looks like you need to get rid of the leaks around the stoker fan adapter.  I think you might need to rotate it 90 degrees.
    Options
    Also, I usually would run mine with the top damper closed for low temps.  Let the fan force the air out of the leaks.