Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leftovers and the strong smell of smoke/charcoal

Hey everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I love my BGE, but have a big issue and am not sure how to remedy it or is it something that cant be fixed?

If I have leftovers and plan on taking it for lunch next day or what not the smell of smoke/charcoal is way more pronounced then what it was the day before. Is there a way to eliminate this or at least make it less pronounced? What do you do? How do you wrap/store your leftovers?

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ

Comments

• Use a little less smoke wood in your cook.  Stuff is always going to taste smokier the day after, cause when you are cooking and constantly get the smoke in you nostrils, you get used to it, and the smoke taste in the food seems less intense than is does the second day when you are eating leftovers and haven't been standing over smoky egg.
    Pentwater, MI
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I've not found that to be an issue.

I typical use BGE Lump and smoking woods when appropriate. 

The quality of leftovers is one of my favorite things about the Egg. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    We use pyrex type storage containers with a four-hinged plastic lid. Freezer quality. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Sometimes I open the fridge just to smell the leftovers.....
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I love stinking up the workplace with my left over smoky food, it always draws compliments.
    Not sure what you are complaining about?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516

Its not even smoke from the wood just charcoal itself. I find that vegetables such as zucchini, peppers etc. retain the smell way more than meat. I enjoy it to an extent but on the vegies I find they are inedible the next day as it way too much charcoal taste.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Use a little less smoke wood in your cook. ... when you are cooking and constantly get the smoke in your nostrils, you get used to it ...
    @ShadowNick ... thanks, you just solved a puzzle for me.  The missus has commented twice in the last week that she liked the latest cooks, 'cuz they were NOT so smokey.  I couldn't understand what she was talking about ... seemed the same to me.  But, I have been paying more attention to letting the lump burn a little longer before adding the meat.  So I told her thanks and decided to continue with the pre-burn, even though I couldn't tell the difference.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Could have something to do with cooking order.  If you are cooking them with meat or directly after, particularly ones with high fat content over direct heat, the meat drippings can impart a heavy smoke smell.  Might want to try cooking them first or wait 5 minutes after you pull meat for fat to burn off to put them on.  Also, are you waiting for the bad smoke to clear after you start the egg before you lay on the veggies?
    1move said:

Its not even smoke from the wood just charcoal itself. I find that vegetables such as zucchini, peppers etc. retain the smell way more than meat. I enjoy it to an extent but on the vegies I find they are inedible the next day as it way too much charcoal taste.

Pentwater, MI
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I was guilty, early on, of using too much smoke wood.  Some of the first chicken I did was edible that day but had the entire fridge smelling like smoke the next.  Start with no smoke wood next cook and see how SWMBO likes it.  Slowly work towards finding the perfect balance.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    if you baste the veggies toward the end of the cook with something like a salad dressing it will wash off some of that smokiness, get a basting mopp

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Stop using Royal Oak lump... :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Stop using Royal Oak lump... :D

• Another thing to consider is that the day of the cook you are kind of in sensory overload with the smoke. Next day you aren't.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2014
    @henapple ... oh come on, anyone can achieve good cooks with RW, OO, or WG.  The real challenge is getting a good cook with RO ... yes?

In 20 days I'll have some easy to cook with RW to try ... then you can stop picking on me!!!!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Your time before cooking is a good question and IMHO lump does affect time to good smoke. I would try letting it burn longer than you think necessary and see how that goes.
  • 1move
    edited December 2014

I have used nothing but the big green egg charcoal, I tried the dragon breath stuff and did not like it at all, have an almost full bag left over.

Anyways just had some leftover chicken breast, asparagus, and baked potato that was all done on the BGE and it smelled delicious. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Last time I think I was in a hurry as the guests were on their way and I threw stuff on before it was ready and started to burn clean.

Mystery solved! ... So far! 

Thanks everyone for your comments!

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • BGE is marked up Royal Oak. If you like BGE save some coin and buy RO.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    If u want a totally neutral non smoky tasting or smelling charcoal Rockwood is the 1. I was able to get sum Rockwood but now it's no longer available to me.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • @g37‌ firecraft.com is your friend.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    I ordered my RW from firecraft. The first and only time i ordered from firecraft the over night shipping was 10$$$. They won't honor that deal again. I live on oahu so shipping is super expensive. I'm back to wicked good.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Yep, that could be problematic. On the plus side, you live on Oahu.
  • 1move

I am in Canada, so we dont get all the stuff you guys do. A bag of BGE Charcoal runs for $31 Canadian, the dragon breath is something like $24 Canadian. I will try and locate some Rockwood charcoal and test it out.

I found that the dragon breath left a sandy taste on the meat and veggies and the entire family had to comment on it after my first use of that bag. I used nice chunks and let it burn until it was clean burning before the meat was put on and it just ruined the meal in my opinon. Nobody ended up liking it.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    1move said:

I am in Canada, so we dont get all the stuff you guys do. A bag of BGE Charcoal runs for $31 Canadian, the dragon breath is something like $24 Canadian. I will try and locate some Rockwood charcoal and test it out.

I found that the dragon breath left a sandy taste on the meat and veggies and the entire family had to comment on it after my first use of that bag. I used nice chunks and let it burn until it was clean burning before the meat was put on and it just ruined the meal in my opinon. Nobody ended up liking it.

look for some of the maplelump up there to try, its really hard for us to get it down here and is a great wood for lump. maple leaf and basques sugar maple, probably others as well. if i had to have just one lump it would be mapleleaf
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just a thought, are you coating the veggies in oil before cooking?

If so, the oil dripping into the fire can create bad smoke. If using oil to get seasoning to stick, use it sparingly.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Ok, ... what's the problem??  Are you pissing off your co-workers? I like to smell like smoke. I honestly think the "extra smoke" is a tribute.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think we need to talking about the fire.  I would first start with not using wood until you eliminate the bad lump smoke possibility.  You may have the whole pile lit and the the air choked back, in which case you can fix this through technique.
    edited December 2014
    1move said:

I agree with @fishlessman on the Basques and Maple Leaf. I'm sure Rockwood is the same quality but it couldn't be a lot better. If you are west of the Ontario border you might find Maple Leaf a bit hard to find but Basques Nature's Own should be available. Green, white and black bag with a loon on it. Home Hardware carries Maple Leaf in the east.

BTW BGE is made by Royal Oak and is no different than what Canadian Tire sells for 14 bucks. (plus HST)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    My jacket, clothes....my freaking house.....All smell like hickory smoke.

It's a good thing.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• Jerald
    Jerald Posts: 46
    piney said:

Ok, ... what's the problem??  Are you pissing off your co-workers? I like to smell like smoke. I honestly think the "extra smoke" is a tribute.

Right.
    Bub - Flower Mound, Texas.  

• THEBuckeye
    @jerald

I'd rather smell like hickory and beer! 
    :-bd
    New Albany, Ohio