Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pappy Van Winkle to be available soon in PA

Options
For all the PA bourbon folks, the PLCB just announced a limited supply of Pappy Van Winkle will soon be released on line. Sounds like to need to register to be notified. Last time it sold out in four minutes. Good luck. http://www.pennlive.com/food/index.ssf/2014/12/pappy_van_winkle_whiskey.html

Comments

• flyer_egger
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.  I couldn't find anyone in the state store system that had any info on this process.  I'm only looking to get a single bottle not trying to buy all they have  Good Luck TJ
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    For those interested in whiskey distilleries, a new one has opened in Brockville, PA off Rt. 36 south of Cook Forest State Park.  It is a small distillery where they make the whiskey on site.  It is a green facility.  Their corn is purchased from local farmers and is recycled through another farmer feeding his livestock with the used mash.  Named Blackbird Distillery it is a small, family owned business.  They also smoke cheeses and have an inventory in the store of bbq sauces made with cherry, peach, and apple whiskey, salsas, vegetables, jams, honey, and maple syrup.  A great place for eggers to find sauces and additions to flavor meats and vegetables.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    Oops--typing error--that should be BROOKVILLE, PA!

Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

I was interested until I saw the price.  Wow. :)

Thanks for the info about Brookeville, I stop there probably 6 times a year on the way to the in-laws.  What is the name of the distillery and/or where exactly is it?  We take 36 all the way through Cooks Forest, so it is right on our way!

• Handcyclist
    Options
    Blackbird Distillery---93 Blackout Alley is the address,  After turning off I-80 and going North on  RT. 36, there is a road to the left named Blackout Alley--it is just north of I-80.  They are only open Wed.-Sun. so be aware they are closed on Mon. and Tues.  Yes, it is expensive.  The laws surrounding the making of moonshine are strict and it is made in the traditional "mountain" way.  They do have free tasting samples if that helps.  t is the only legal moonshine distillery in the country.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

Thanks!  I will have to take a look at it and see if they are open when we travel for Christmas.

And the price remark was in response to Tjcoley's Pappy article.

• Handcyclist
    Options
    No problem--it does run $17.00 for the smallest sized bottle.  
  • flyer_egger
    Options
    TJ  Just a question.  What time did the 2014 Release notice hit your email?

Mine hit my inbox at 12:20 the sold out notice hit at 12:28.  When I printed the release notice it said it was sent 11:15.  I checked with my provider and after testing no issues were found.  I think the lag was on the state store server side.  Thanks, hope you were more suscessful.
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I didn't sign up for the notice, just passed on the info in case any one else wanted to try. Last year sold out in 4 minutes. With work, I figured I didn't stand a chance.
    Options
    One guy I work with got 4 bottles and one got 3 bottles. They got the email at exactly 11:15, but then the site was down for about 10 minutes. They ultimately bought using the iPhone app. You had to buy them one at a time and start the process over for each bottle, but they managed to get through multiple times. Also, you could only get one bottle of any vintage. They said it sold out in about 10 minutes. I am still trying to figure out why this stuff is worth the prices people pay for it out there in the marketplace. I like bourbon as much as the next guy, but it can't be that good.
    LBGE; Adjustable Rig
    Delaware County, PA
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    One guy I work with got 4 bottles and one got 3 bottles. They got the email at exactly 11:15, but then the site was down for about 10 minutes. They ultimately bought using the iPhone app. You had to buy them one at a time and start the process over for each bottle, but they managed to get through multiple times. Also, you could only get one bottle of any vintage. They said it sold out in about 10 minutes. I am still trying to figure out why this stuff is worth the prices people pay for it out there in the marketplace. I like bourbon as much as the next guy, but it can't be that good.
    Just wait and see what people are paying 5 years from now.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.