Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Cheese Questions

Options
What's everyone's favorite cheese to smoke and choice of wood ?  I am going to cold smoke some cheese for Christmas gifts.  Any thoughts or experiences would be great.

Thanks

Sherriff
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I use the Amaz N Pellet smoker with Pitmasters blend pellets.  I have not smoked anything I did not like other than an aged provolone that was just too sharp and smoky for eating straight up.  Cheddar, Colby, Monterrey Jack, and Jarlsburg Swiss have all been great.

I find that it needs a couple of months or more, not just a couple of weeks before it mellows out.  I vac seal and refrigerate after smoking.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Pepperjack with apple. My two kids gobble it down faster than I can cut it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited December 2014
    Options
    please see 

my favourite is mozarella, smoked with blend of apricot, pecan and sugar maple.
    canuckland
  • Sherriff
    Options
    Great info, thanks folks.  I forgot to mention I have the Amaz N Pellet smoker too and will be using that. 

Sherriff
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Gouda, Cheddar, Dubliner.  I like alder and apple.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DMW‌ should chime in 3,2.... ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Apple smoke , cheddar, and Swiss are my faves but I do other cheeses as well. I don't know what the temps are for you locally but it can be to cold to smoke cheese.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I've smoked cheddar, provolone, and Colby jack with success. Can't remember what wood though. It's been awhile.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @greg345 - I just smoked some almonds and a block of medium cheddar today. Our air temp was in the 20's F. I used the A-maze-N smoker and my cooking chamber was right at 50 degrees when I checked it with my Thermapen. I am very new to cold smoking. From your experience, would there be a temp range that is best?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    @minniemoh‌ Technically anything under 100F is considered "cold smoking". I know this is the case when cold smoking meat.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    When you get close to 80° your softer cheeses will melt a bit. Mozzarella and Swiss come to mind. The reason I say it can be too cold is because the cheese may freeze, Not likely but the stiffer the cheese the harder it is to take on smoke. @minniemoh‌ 50° is rit where you'd wanna be. I had to warm up the egg a bit with a tuna can filled with some charcoal during the cold winter last year.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos