Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Spots?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I'm grilling, I notice that the food placed on the back, left side cooks faster than the other areas of the grill grate. I've tried cleaning the ashes out completely before each use, and scattering the coals around as evenly as possible. The only thing I've found to work is pulling almost all the coals to the front/right of the firebox, which usually evens things out. Has anyone else noticed hot spots like this?

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Eddie,
    Check to see if all the air holes are unobstructed. You may be getting more air in your back left than elsewhere.
    JimW

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Eddie, I don't know how you can really prevent this except with the use of a ceramic firebarrier. This will help to even out the temp zones..[p]Now for grilling at high temperatures, here is a Char-Woody Clinker hint. [p]Use a double grill, on resting on the other one and the lower one will act as a bearing. You can then easily rotate the top grill with a ash tool or your long handled grill tools.[p]I have at least a half dozen different size grill's to fit almost any cook arrangement I can dream up...:-)[p] Wait till ya see my newest EggRoll...:-) C~W[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Eddie,[p]I've noticed something similar in my medium egg. When I do seared steaks or burgers, anything that gets the fire to 7-900 degrees, the back of my egg is usually hotter than the front. I can only think that there is so much air coming in the the bottom of the egg and out the top, the path that it takes is in the bottom, across the bottom of the egg, up the back of the egg, and out the top. I've noticed that when I get the egg up to temperature or close to the desired temp, if I close the bottom vent a bit the flames and coals even out and its even heat across the whole thing. All of my air holes are open, clean etc. Thats just the path the air takes in my egg with everything wide open.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody,
    That rotating grill is a great idea. I just had the same problem last night doing some burgers.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Eddie,[p]The phenomenon you've mentioned can best be described as the nature of the beast.[p]Char-Woody's tip is a good one and something I've taken for granted. A replacement cooking grid for an 18.5 inch Weber Kettle is an exact fit for the large Egg. Char Broil also makes one this same size. These are available everywhere (Kmart, Home Depot, etc.)[p]K~G

• Eddie,
    Like the others say, cooking direct over coals naturally is hotter in certain areas than others. Rotating the grate is a good idea to even the game a bit.[p]Also, try to use the hotter/cooler areas to your advantage. Largest pieces over the hot spots, smaller pieces around those. Cooking direct usually involves flipping, which is a good time to see which pieces are cooking fastest. Adjust placement of the food as you go.[p]Cheers!
    NB