Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs

Options
Was given some short ribs. Any thoughts on how I should prepare them?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    How are they cut? You can braise them, smoke them, or do a marinade like kalbi depending on how they were trimmed.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Low & slow until melt in your mouth like butter tender.

bourbon mustard glaze in the end

I would use the 3-2-1 method or variations thereof
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Treat it like brisket.  Look for the sweet spot around 200.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Depending on the cut. Some tend to work better in a braise while others work better for a L&S.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    The simple approach-hit 'em with a little worcestershire sauce then your favorite rub.  Cook them indirect at around 250-275*F on the dome til tender.  Likely take around 6 hours or so.  Great eats await-YMMV.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If they are a whole slab, I like to season them (just 50/50 salt/pepper works great) and smoke around 250* until probe tender around 200* +/- internal temp, somewhere around 7-10 hours depending on thickness.

If already cut, season then smoke for about 2 hours, then place in a foil pan with some beef broth and cover tightly with foil until around 200* and probe tender. This will not take as long. I prefer the combined smoke/braise for cut short ribs because I think they get too crusty if you only smoke them for the duration.

Now, if they are cut, and you have a method to do sous vide I have another idea...

Season (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick in this case).

Vacuum seal:

138* for 72 hours:

Slice into cubes and insert metal skewers:

Flash fry at 380* aprox 30 seconds until nicely browned:

These were little bites of heaven.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    Dang, forgot the frying shot.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    DMW said:
    If they are a whole slab, I like to season them (just 50/50 salt/pepper works great) and smoke around 250* until probe tender around 200* +/- internal temp, somewhere around 7-10 hours depending on thickness.

If already cut, season then smoke for about 2 hours, then place in a foil pan with some beef broth and cover tightly with foil until around 200* and probe tender. This will not take as long. I prefer the combined smoke/braise for cut short ribs because I think they get too crusty if you only smoke them for the duration.

Now, if they are cut, and you have a method to do sous vide I have another idea...

Season (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick in this case).

Vacuum seal:

138* for 72 hours:

Slice into cubes and insert metal skewers:

Flash fry at 380* aprox 30 seconds until nicely browned:

These were little bites of heaven.

Ok I don't get Sous Vide? Why spend 72 hours to cook one meal? I take it, it brakes down the tissue more and makes it more tender? That's a lot of work. My father-n-law gave my grief about how much work I went into to grill salmon. He liked it, he just said he could have cooked it faster in a pan, but I said the flavor would be different. Does sous vide change the flavor? Just wondering. The food like good by the way.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    Options
    @Ladeback69
    SV is the only way to cook tough cuts of meat to medium-rare, but still tender. 

When smoking, the internal temp of the meat will end up around 200* (well past well done). If you pulled them at 138*, then would extremely tough.

Also it really is a low effort cook. The 72 hours the SV is working, you don't have to do a thing, like a crock pot.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA