Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch Turkey - Butcher removed Breastbone too..how do I cook?

Options
SmokyBear
SmokyBear Posts: 389
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hey, gang.  Doing 2nd Thanksgiving tonite (my family - did wife's on Thursday) and ordered a fresh Amish Turkey - asked the butcher to remove the BACKBONE so that I could spatch it.  (Did a test run a week ago where *I* took the backbone out of a 12 lb Butterball and that was no fun at all).

Picked up the Turkey last night and butcher guy took the BREASTBONE out too (ugh). 

Turkey does lay TOTALLY flat - but now I'm worried that the breasts will be "too" close to the fire and cook too quickly.

Planning to do raised direct, 400 (Top level of the CGS Adjustable Rig), have my Maverick in the breast to test to 165..but thinking the breast may hit 165 before the legs being closer (since it's flatter) to the fire.

Turkey is 10 3/4 lbs (there's only 5 of us) before backbone and breastbone came out..

Not sure if I'm worrying about nothing, but have only ever spatch'd one Turkey before and it had a breastbone - and turned out great.  Somewhat concerned I'm going to gork this one up now that it's different.

Not injecting or brining the turkey.  Am going to put a butter/EVO/herb mix (Mickey's on half, Bells on the other) both on the meat directly (after separating the skin) and on the skin.  Aside from that - has been drying in the fridge uncovered overnite, but that's about it.

Thanks for any/all help!
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I saw go for it.  It should be just fine. If you want some insurance, employ the ice bag method for the top and the underside of the breast where the backbone used to be.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Cover a brick with foil and use it to prop the breast up a bit. Never thought about seasoning half and half...Sounds yummy!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just don't see a problem. I cut the Breast bone heavy anyway to get the flattest lay down. How did it work for you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Hey, Mickey..haven't done it yet - doing tonight.

Good to know it shouldn't be a problem.

Will let you guys know..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    It's no problem. Did it yesterday, turned out just as good as any.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    @jls9595 - sweet!  Looks like you did that raised direct?  Is that right?

How long and at what temp did you cook it?  And how big a bird? 

Great skin color..did you use wood also?  Looks like maybe cherry?

Thx..
  • jls9595
    Options
    yes, raised direct, 14lb took 1.5 hours at 375 or so. 1 small chunk of cherry, good eye :)>-
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Looks like a winner !!  I did the same cook on Thursday, except 400*.  I loved the MCR on my Thanksgiving Spatch Turkey. 

I fell in love with that unique flavor.  Can't wait to do a couple rib eyes !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• jls9595
    Options
    It's even better on a steak imo
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!