Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not terribly expensive Indoor Pots and Pans, any suggestions?

Options
Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November 2014 in Off Topic
SWMBO and I have decided that our Christmas present to each other this year will be a new set of pots and pans for use on the kitchen clock, any suggestions from the group? I'd say budget is 500 dollars or so. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have all Clad D5. I absolutely love it. Right now cutlery and more dot com has 20% off cookware so you can get the the 10 piece set for 639 if you are willing to go a little over 500. My parents have the tri-ply(20 years now) and it's great, but I love the improvement of the d5.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I got a darn good set at Ikea. I was in a pinch because I needed induction stuff with my remodel.
    Well the $60 box still going strong included a free non stick...im very happy 2 years later.

With this I have an all clad stainless pan and my la creuset Dutch oven. I say go cheap with a few nice pieces mixed in.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    That's what I'm a little worried about spending a bunch of money as SWMBO doesn't respect the cookware quite the way that I do. I treat my cast iron like gold, her pots and pans don't see the same love. Dishwasher safe would be a bonus and resistance to a night soaking in the sink would be a positive as well. 

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    We have had our All Clad 12 years and they look new. We don't take very good care of them either. We gave the set linked above I think.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Paderno have some sets made in Canada. This is what I have been using for 20 years now. My only complaint is that the set I have is not compatible with induction cooktops. This is a non issue right now but my next cooktop will be induction... They make some sets that are induction compatible but I think that those ones are not made in Canada. What I like about them is that the handles are soldered to the outside of the pots so there are no rivets inside the pots and no screws that can become loose.

Options
    Rachel Ray 12 PC for 99$ good for everyday use
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We have several All-Clad. My recommendation is not to buy a "set". Yes you are buying at an ideal time so do it now, but you know what size peaces you use (just buy them). I would add a good enameled CI to the buy as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Wolfgang Puck on HSN. Over the years, we've bought three sets and various individual pieces. If you can wait a bit, he always has special sets hand picked for holiday cooking. Sign up at HSN to get notifications when he has a show. Usually shipping is free and really good pricing. Our first set still looks and cooks like the day we took it out of the box.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Little Steven
    Options

This is from Costco Canada.

Don't know if it's in the States or not. I can vouch for the quality of this stuff.

( http://www.costco.ca/.product.100100691.html?&EMID=CA_EN_2014_1126_BlackFriday-D2 )

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I rarely buy sets of anything. Check HomeGoods for AllClad. They often have a few pieces at very good prices. The occasional le creuset DO too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I agree with Mickey and Carolina Q, selected pieces of different construction would be more versatile.  I'd include an All-Clad saute pan (copper core if you can swing it), a cheep T-Fal non-stick skillet for fish and eggs, cast iron DO (I like the le Creusets also), anodized or steel sauce pans.  A cast-iron skillet is also useful for dishes that are sauteed and then put in the oven/under the broiler.  
    Good luck!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks guys, I knew I'd get perspectives I hadn't even thought of. But now it's time to go enjoy the one holiday meal a year that I don't cook for. Happy thanksgiving to all.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Circulon. First set lasted 10yr. Retired it because we got tired of looking at it. Replaced with another Circulon set. But we don't use metal utensils in them, and always hand wash. Set was under $150 I think.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.