Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky the easy way 12 hours and done

SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to share this is the second time I have done beef jerky and not gone a full day of marinade and also skip the portion where you pat down the jerky to remove as much liquid as possible before smoke (messy and requires lots of paper towels). Ive sliced the jerky and let it sit in marinade for 6 hours, smoked on the egg for 2 hours, and finishing off in the dehydrator for 4-5 additional hours. Im sure you can finish it in the egg but i dont think the egg is that great as a jerky cooker and capacity wise. I used my adjustable rig with all 3 racks. I set the oval stone directly on the fire ring (this seems like it would be fine during cooking as well opening up that bottom slot on the rig). I load my dehydrator and do it outside as the smoke smell can over power the kitchen. Tonights haul.

imageimageimageimage
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,952
    Looks great, I also like to start jerky in egg for couple of hours then finish in Excalibur.  What cut of beef and what marinade did you use?
    canuckland
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Looks good.  Dehydrator is one gadget I don't have.

Have had good success with conrtoller and a 7 hour 170 smoke though with the eggs.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SkinnyV
    Looks great, I also like to start jerky in egg for couple of hours then finish in Excalibur.  What cut of beef and what marinade did you use?
    Bottom round, soy sauce and a tad of worch.... thats it. Ive done other mixes before but went really basic.  Kids dont like when i use spices or red pepper flakes, wich i do like.
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    rtt121 said:
    Looks good.  Dehydrator is one gadget I don't have.

Have had good success with conrtoller and a 7 hour 170 smoke though with the eggs.
    Agree it can be done but the capacity to me can get tricky, and results are better imo with the dehydrator. Found my excalibur 5 tray for $100 on CL. Surprised at how much it can hold.
    Seattle, WA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,952
    I usually do River City jerky marinade which has soy and worstershire as main ingredients.  Did some shoyu chicken today, I think the marinade will be good for jerky (shoyu means soy sauce). Got my 9 tray Excalibur from CL too.
    canuckland
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited November 2014
    Nice!! I love it, looks like it would be delicious.
    :D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SkinnyV

I usually do River City jerky marinade which has soy and worstershire as main ingredients.  Did some shoyu chicken today, I think the marinade will be good for jerky (shoyu means soy sauce). Got my 9 tray Excalibur from CL too.

Maybe I should buy some pre made marinades to change up my flavor. I could use something new besides my whipping something up. As long as its not too spendy.
    I also want to try to jerky brisket, a show on tv had a popular place that used brisket only in thick cuts.
    Seattle, WA