Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - what @caliking said, mayo good for tandoori chicken too

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Very nice! From the looks of it, these were done in your new-to-you tandoor?

Did you make naans too? I'm still looking for an authentic naan recipe - basically just water, flour, yogurt (curd to LS), maybe egg. Maybe I will try sometime with yogurt from the Indian store since @Aviator says the bugs in it are different.

Also, next time try bigger hunks of potato at the end of the skewers, but place the foil as a shield without wrapping around the potatoes. maybe marinate a few of the taters in the tandoori marinade. The taters turn out divine as they get basted with the chicken drippings during the cook!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Yes this is second cook in the tandoor.  It was a late decision and I didn't have yogurt, used sour cream in a pinch for both the chicken and naan.  Still experimenting with naan recipe too.  Strange thing is this time the naan's bottom picked up way more spinach cure than the first cook, although we wiped the wall, perhaps the stuff is still oozing since I cranked the temp higher.

Unwrapped potato didn't work well for me, probably because the tandoor is not as tall as yours and the taters got charred badly. Won't a shield fall off? I'm thinking may be wrap the bottom 1/2 only.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    Your tandoori chicken thread is buried in the deluge of turkey threads!

Sorry, forgot that your tandoor was shorter. Try wrapping half the potato so at least some juices hit the potato. They are REALLY good. Maybe try tandoori potatoes with chicken and potato alternating on the skewer?

I've read about people just using brine to season the tandoor as well. Either way, I bet the naans didn't taste bad.

• Canugghead
    Options
    Yes my tandoor is short, can only do max four leg quarters per skewer.  Naan weren't bad but the cure that got stuck on it was annoying, may be I'll try rubbing the wall with brine. Thanks.
    canuckland
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Never admit your tandoor is short. [-(
  • caliking
    Options

Never admit your tandoor is short. [-(

It's the heat hittin' the meat that counts ;)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Now I'm craving tandoori. I wonder if Tandoori turkey would be good as I happen to have a turkey I need to cook this weekend and don't want to do anything traditional with it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Options
    caliking said:

Very nice! From the looks of it, these were done in your new-to-you tandoor?

Did you make naans too? I'm still looking for an authentic naan recipe - basically just water, flour, yogurt (curd to LS), maybe egg. Maybe I will try sometime with yogurt from the Indian store since @Aviator says the bugs in it are different.

Also, next time try bigger hunks of potato at the end of the skewers, but place the foil as a shield without wrapping around the potatoes. maybe marinate a few of the taters in the tandoori marinade. The taters turn out divine as they get basted with the chicken drippings during the cook!

Perhaps you could substitute mayo for the curd
    :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    The  yougurt /curd brings a bunch of tenderizers to the meat in the form of lactobacilli and others

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    Options
    Aviator said:

The  yougurt /curd brings a bunch of tenderizers to the meat in the form of lactobacilli and others

Yep. For the naans, the bugs leaven the dough, since they didn't have yeast in that part of the world. I may have better results with the Indian store yogurt.

• caliking
    Options

:((
    Touche... Jerk!

• Canugghead
    Options
    DMW said:
    Now I'm craving tandoori. I wonder if Tandoori turkey would be good as I happen to have a turkey I need to cook this weekend and don't want to do anything traditional with it.

Sounds interesting, spatchtom raised direct?
    I would slash and gash it like a ninja though, especially the dark meat ...
    canuckland