Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin, Reverse Sear, and it's 25 degrees outside -- your thoughts?

Options
I plan on cooking a 4 lb beef tenderloin tomorrow.  With indirect heat at about 275 degrees, how long do you think it will take to get to 115 degrees internal?  30 minutes?  Then take it off, put it in foil, and get the grill up to 600 degrees and sear 4 minutes on each side?  

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Maybe longer, I did 1.5 to 2 pound KC strip indirect for 25 minute at 300 to 120 before I pulled it to sear a minute a side. You may be ok on the sear time. I would plan on 35 to 40. By the way it was 35 and raining when I did it. I would give yourself and hour window for the whole cook.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • CheeseheadIllinois
    Options
    It was 25 degrees outside.  Got the Egg up to 300 with the placesetter in.  Put on the 4 - 5 lb tenderloin for about 45 minutes until it got to 115.  Removed the placesetter, opened up the vents, temperature rose to about 500 in 5 minutes (and the tenderloin went to 120), put the tenderloin on for about 4 minutes per side until the internal temp was about 145.  Took it off, brought it inside, and let it sit for 5 minutes.  Hoorahs from everyone!