Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy cure for smoking a turkey around Mississauga, Oakville area

I saw a wed site showing how to cure a turkey before smoking it. It suggested to use processors brown sugar cure. I can't find it anywhere.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
    You will have to make it. It's hard to get pink salt in the GWN. You can get it at Williams Sonoma. There is a product called Ready-Cure which is a lower mixture of nitrite to Kosher (you have to do this mix yourself if you use pink salt). With the Ready cure you use it right out of the bag for a dry cure. Fore a brine cure the instructions are on the bag. You can get this at Highland farms, it's usually on the meat counter in the Mississauga store. I'm pretty sure I saw pink salt at Whole Foods in Oakville/Burlington.

Oh and you can get pre-made cures at Le Baron, Bass Pro and Cabela's

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
     thanks I thought that you in the past had posted something about this.

Your opinion is it worth the effort to do this to smoke a turkey. Just wanted to do something special this Christmas for the inlaws.
  • I've never cured and smoked a turkey but I want to do some legs and thighs this year for flavouring soups and stews. For Christmas I would just roast it Mad Max style. Cured is gonna be pretty salty for eating alone.

Steve 

Caledon, ON