Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lavatools Thermowand...anyone heard of it?

Options
My wife bought me a Lavatools Thermawand instant-read thermometer. The reviews said it is very comparable (some said better) than a Thermapen and it only cost about $25 on Amazon....worth the risk I guess. I've been groaning about buying a Thermapen and asked her to find me a discount code (she's a frugal shopper) and she found this. 

It came in today and I tested it on boiling water and it gave me a 110.8 (their specs say it reads within a degree plus or minus) and it was quick...about 3-4 seconds. I'll take it. There's no way to calibrate it, but the website says it will never need it.

Anybody else heard of it? Got one? Like it? Love it? Hate it?

Just curious...
Just chillin' and lovin' the eggin' life! Facebook • My Graphic Design Website

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    No nothing about it but if it says what they say it would be a great deal
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm frugal but, with that said... Thermapen has a proven track record. I hope this one works well for you brotha. Give us your review once you've field tested it ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2014
    Options

@HeathCave

WOW..Dude..I kinda thought water boils at 212,...but who knew

Yours seems to boil at 110.8

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

if it read 110° then its way off - boiling point of water is 100°C or 212°F... if that was a typo then its not far off.

But for nearly the same price you could get a  Thermopop, which is backlit and has other features as well. No to mention that they have a great reputation for quality products and quality customer service.

So I say "meh".

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeathCave
    Options
    Ha. Yeah. Typo. Sorry. It was 210.8.

I'll get some testing in on Saturday with a spatchcock turkey I'm doing. I'll compare it to another set of probes I have (iGrill 2) and report back.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

We all knew it was a Typo....we are just giving you crap about it..

How does it work? Does the probe fold up?

How do you shut it off?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• HeathCave
    Options
    Yeah it folds just like the ThermaPen. It looks like it's a little shorter so your hand may be a little closer to the heat with it. I've never seen a ThermaPen in person so I don't know though.

It comes on when the probe unfolds and goes off when you fold it back up. Pretty cool.

No backlight though. But I have overhead lights at my egg and rarely cook any fast cooks after dark so no biggie to me.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2014
    Options
    HeathCave said:
    Yeah it folds just like the ThermaPen. It looks like it's a little shorter so your hand may be a little closer to the heat with it. I've never seen a ThermaPen in person so I don't know though.
    Just in case you want to compare the extended Thermapen is a smig under 11" in length and yours is 4.5" so yes you will be closer to the fire.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeathCave
    Options
    It's 4.5 to the mid point of the handle. Extended it is 7.5" end to end. The Thermowand that is.
  • cjxlbge
    Options
    Adding on late to this string but I have a Lavatools Thermawand and a ThermoWorks Chef Alarm (with both an internal meat probe and a probe for grate level temp).  I boiled some water and both the Thermawand and the Chef Alarm indicated the temp was 203.5 and 203.4, respectively.  Are my thermometers broken?  I am cooking a prime rib dinner tomorrow night and am getting concerned.  Thanks for any help.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cjxlbge said:
    Adding on late to this string but I have a Lavatools Thermawand and a ThermoWorks Chef Alarm (with both an internal meat probe and a probe for grate level temp).  I boiled some water and both the Thermawand and the Chef Alarm indicated the temp was 203.5 and 203.4, respectively.  Are my thermometers broken?  I am cooking a prime rib dinner tomorrow night and am getting concerned.  Thanks for any help.
    Where are you located? 212* boiling temp is at sea level. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • kwdickert
    Options
    I have a java tools and it's great. No problems with accuracy. 
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg