Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First shot at Turkey

Options
Hey all,

BBQ enthusiast, who recently popped his BGE cherry here!  I scooped my egg at the festival back in October.  I've done a couple of butts, some ribs, steaks, etc., but this weekend I'm going out on a limb and trying a turkey for our 'Friendsgiving.'

I've read a few threads, watched some videos, and one of things I can't seem to decide on is whether I should cook it straight up with a poultry roaster or just lay it flat on the grate with my drip pan on the plate setter (both my regular roasting pan and turkey v-grate are too big for my egg).  Anyone care to share some thoughts or horror stories either way?

Comments

• GaryLange
    Options
    I roast mine in a rack indirect with drip pan. I brine it first for 24 hours then rinse it off and rub it down with Olive Oil and Poultry Rub. Stablise the BGE at about 350 and put the bird on. When it reaches about 150-155 in the breast I pull it off and stick it in a cooler covered with foil and a towel. The temp will rise to 160 in the breast while the other sides are baking. Nice and tender and juicy.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Search for Mad Max's Turkey recipe.  I've done it twice and it's the best.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

@justinhintz-first up welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a link to the afore mentioned mad-max turkey.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm (Regarding the mad-max turkey-I don't go thru the gravy prep efforts but for cooking the bird his process works well).  BTW-the main site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info.

Another approach that has quite a following is to spatchcock the turkey and then cook it.  Several current threads on the topic, FWIW.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    +1 on the above posts...all are great !!!

Welcome to the forum and just dive in and get ya some !!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• justinhintz
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I'm going to try a test run tomorrow with a breast and see how my set up is.  I bought a pre-brined bird from Whole Foods and am going to throw it right on the rack.  Pictures to follow!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Welcome! +1 to what @GaryLange‌ said. Keep it simple and don't overcook and it'll be great. You may want to truss the bird - very simple to do, Alton brown has a video online - it will help keep the bird all tucked together.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is how I do it. Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee.. Equal part: Brown Sugar.. ½ part: Black Pepper.. ½ part: Kosher Salt.. ½ part: Garlic Powder.. ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder.. Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    @Mickey‌ I realize that is the turkey neck laying there but I crack up every time I see that pic. I guess that's my inner immature teenage self coming out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I always cook them. Good quick eats.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Mickey    Awesome Mickey !!!

I'm using this Thursday unless you disagree !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!