Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook 2 20 lb turkeys at once on an XL?

Options
I see in the advertisement for the XL BGE it is said that it's possible to cook 2 20 lb turkeys at one time on it.

I'd like to do that this year but it seems like a REALLY tight fit.

What is the best way to pull it off?  Get two small oval shaped pans?  Does anyone have a link to pans they know will fit?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Parker
Dallas,TX

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,731
    Options
    I did it last year. Spatchcocked even.  Though they may have been closer to 17-18lbs.   I just let some of the turkey overhand the platesetter than rotated the entire grid every half hour or so.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    If two will fit spatchcocked why not just go direct raised and not worry with a platesetter?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Beanboy
    Options
    I'd prefer to do these not-spatchcocked if at all possible  I've spatchcocked a chicken only once and it seems like the wrong day to try spatchcocking a turkey for the first time.  I'd hate to faceplant in front of 20 guests.

Parker
    Dallas,TX
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Beanboy You still have time to buy another Big Green Egg. Problem solved.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I think you could do both if you're spatchcocked them and cooked them at two different heights.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I've done two 15-16lb turkeys side by each on the XL with room.  Forget the pan - although racks are nice.
  • Beanboy
    Options
    Well crap. I was hoping to do them mad max, which means not spatchcocked and I need the juices for gravy. Guess that might not be happening....
    Dallas,TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you could do it with a couple of the foil turkey roasting racks.  They are a little more flexible so you can squish them together if need be.  

Another option might be use one big pan and cook them vertically.  I know the "beer can" thing isn't popular, but vertically would give you more room.  You could buy a couple of the vertical racks or use the big cans like fosters.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Beanboy‌ you might want to consider doing one mad max method turkey on your Big Green Egg and the other one in your oven.
    I cook two 20 pound turkeys every year for Thanksgiving. I cook one (mad max method) on my large egg and one in my oil-less fryer.
    I have enough drippings and gravy for both.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Beanboy
    Options
    Called BGE corporate and they suggested just placing 2 20 lb turkeys 2" apart on the cooking grid...what was a little less clear was how to get the correct drip pans to cover such a large dripping area....

Parker
    Dallas,TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Here is last year. A 18 and a 13.image

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,641
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would do them side by side, on stock cooking grate as shown by @texaswig.  For drip pan I would use a half sheet pan, it fits the XL p/s perfectly.  You'll get plenty of air circulation below the birds, of course since the pan is shallow, make sure you keep an eye on the liquid level.  If the edges of the birds extend too much over the pan, use small strips of foil underneath to protect.  Rotate grid halfway through the cook if needed

canuckland
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @BEANBOY....I bought an aluminum water heater drip pan. 20 Inch diam for my XL...perfect fit. 

I used JB Weld to seal up the hole in the side and I used JB weld to attach two angle strips underneath for air spacers. 

I was going to drill and attach a couple of handles on the sides but have never really needed them.

Works great, I bought mine off amazon I think.

imageimage

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Beanboy said:
    I'd prefer to do these not-spatchcocked if at all possible  I've spatchcocked a chicken only once and it seems like the wrong day to try spatchcocking a turkey for the first time.  I'd hate to faceplant in front of 20 guests.

Parker

I have 20 as well (6 from Dallas area) but have two Larges so very easy. A suggestion would change to a large ham cooked first and kept easy in a butt box wrapped in towels. Cook the turkey second as it is harder to hold over. Just a thought.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.