Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Flashlights

2»

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Ok, finally something I know something about. 

You have received all good choices so far but allow me to offer my opinion based on many years of very hard flashlight use. 

Surefire is the best. It is by far the most expensive but they top the list for durability and customer service. 

Streamlight is a very close second. (I would not hesitate to buy one and have many times)

Fenix, Quark, Oilight, and Pelican are other very nice choices. 

The hardest part is finding out what size and style he wants. I suggest getting one with a Cree LED and that takes 3v Lithium ( aka 123A). I'll include my two fav hand held size and pocket size lights. I will also include a link to what I think he may find the most useful. I have the combo in the link and it is super bad ass. Here is the LINK

Awesome! I'm going thru these posts very carefully ... Streamline - Surefire seem to offer extraordinary flashlights, but I'm gonna Google all mentioned here. Thanks Again - Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,212
    Old Skool
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Surefire with out a doubt.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Some great ideas listed I use stream light and surefire I prefer my surefire but that is just my opinion both great companies. Headlamps are also great just keep in mind the set-ups vary greatly. My USAR helmet has a recessed hole that takes a specific Pelican light. If your looking for a "non-helmet" headlamp we use CMC great lights very comfortable and great batt life. Good luck.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited November 2014

Glad I saw this thread.....my LED light just crapped out and I need another pronto.  Have tons of credit at Cabela's so I would prefer to get it there.

Any thoughts between the Streamlight Ultra Compact ProTac HL and the Streamlight Scorpion HL?  Kind of down to these two and they're about the same price and specs seem similar.     

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have the torch from wicked lasers. Its the size off a small mag light but as bright as a car headlight. I have not used the others above but I would put money that the wicked lasers is twice as bright. It will light a piece of paper on fire if you hold it to the front of the light. I believe its 4200 lumens.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    edited November 2014

I had a pair of MaxaBeam's for a while.  VERY cool as you could focus the beam.  It did not have the same coverage as a 1000+ lumen LED even when zoomed out, but its reach when zoomed in was incredible.  I live on a cliff and could effectively light up objects across the river valley (1+ mile away.)

If you remember the big handheld search lights from Jurassic Park or True Lies, that's the one.  I always wanted one since I was a kid, but it was hard to justify having a $1000+ flashlight (or two of them.)  So, I sold them on eBay and upgraded my old Streamlight TLR-1&2's to the HL versions, and my JetBeam BC25's to the newer SE's.

http://searchlights.peakbeam.com/category/searchlights 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Here is a link to a YouTube video of the torch. It doesn't look like the guy has it focused but he is lighting up his back yard with it and its about the same size as a 2d maglite. Its bright enough that if you point it at something close like 10' it will blind you just looking at where you are pointing it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BE47oGH6L1k
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    edited November 2014
    Lit said:
    Here is a link to a YouTube video of the torch. It doesn't look like the guy has it focused but he is lighting up his back yard with it and its about the same size as a 2d maglite. Its bright enough that if you point it at something close like 10' it will blind you just looking at where you are pointing it. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BE47oGH6L1k
    He has a gas grill......  :-q
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    I feel like a piker for having Maglites
    Bloomfield, NJ