Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A pizza dough... Duh moment!

Options
jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
I started making my own pizza dough about a year ago. It started out great and since then the dough has steadily gone down hill. Turns out I was storing the jar of yeast in the closet above my stove. Today, I read the jar! REFRIDGERATE...use the yeast within 6 months. I did neither. Most of you probably knew that yeast had to be refrigerated but I did not. Anyway, I am back to making great pizza dough and pretzels. Hope this helps someone that thought they couldn't make good pizza dough.
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It keeps even longer in the freezer. I buy it in a large amount. Keep a small amount in the frig and the remainder in the freezer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    When all else fails, read the directions. :D just kidding
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    For those of you out there that have "old" yeast that you keep in the pantry it can still be used. If your white box with a clock has a proof setting you are good to go.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH