Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey Gravy... deglazing turkey pan = bleh!

I've tried the MM turkey for a few years and the turkey always turns out great. However I struggle with the gravy. Specifically when I place the turkey pan on burners and attempt to degrease the bottom and retrieve the darkened goodies, I end up with nasty, bitter burnt stuff which ruins the gravy.... To prevent the same problem this year I'm looking for ideas on what I may be doing wrong... Thoughts?

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Do you have an air gap for your drip pan?  That will help with scorching, try some foil balls or something to keep it up off the plate setter.  if thats not the issue I don't know.
  • As mentioned keep from burning the drippings, use spacers and add water mid-cook if you need more moisture.  I usually go in after 1 hour and spin the bird around and add some water to drip pan.

Don't give up on the gravy...best part IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I intend to do the MM for Thanksgiving.  A couple weeks ago I did a turkey breast as a "test run".  I put the breast in a blue roaster which sat on a couple of fire bricks which sat on the plate setter-legs up.  I did the white wine half bottle.  We were about 1/2-2/3's through the cook and once when i opened the egg to baste the bird, I decided that the fluid in the bottom was getting to low so I added about 1/3 C more wine and just a little more water.  Nothing got scorched and maybe it would have been fine but adding fluid cant hurt.  At least I don't think it can.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Re: MMGravy

I have found that I like to use a sweet Riesling as opposed to a Chardonnay.

Important to cook out the alcohol while on the stove top.

Good stuff. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• As others have said, put an air space between the roasting pan and setter, i use a cake cooling rack. Also put a small amount of liquid (wine, stock or water) in the pan, just enough to cover the bottom. This will prevent the early drippings from burning.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • This helps tremendously folks. Much grass....
  • Nativetexan
    Nativetexan Posts: 26
    edited November 2014
    Thanks All....