Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Charcoal Step by Step (Pics)

This is something I saw on youtube and wanted to try. After doing it once I probably won't do it again. It made about 50 pounds if I had to guess. I have a few cords of seasoned Oak that I got from a neighbor who felled 5 of his oak trees last year. It takes 10 times the wood to burn than the charcoal you make. But I think it would be so cool to make bacon with this charcoal, just to say I did it...

Cut wood
Grab Beer
Start fire
Grab another beer
After a good bed of coals, place barrel or in my case, a metal trash can full of wood chunks on the coals
Grab another beer
Stack plenty of wood around barrel
Watch fire burn while drinking beer
Stumble to bed smelling of smoke
Wake up next day and check out a can full of homemade charcoal

Basically I was burning the wood without oxygen. All that is left behind is the carbon. I drilled a 3/16 hole in the lid to allow smoke to escape but I don't think I needed to as the lid allowed plenty of the smoke to escape. 

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    edited November 2014
    That's pretty cool, but I'm with you, a lot of effort, not a lot of payback. But, Hey!, you can say you did it. Top it off with homemade bacon sound like a good story. My wife already complains because the dog and I smell like smoke and the dog doesn't shower. Think I'll just buy premade. :D
  • I noticed the top of the can some of the wood is not all the way converted to charcoal. the middle and down was. I suspect the top was not hot enough. This may be my smoking wood lol
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited November 2014
    Neighbors must have been looking at your trash can fire and thinking WTF. :) Looking forward to hearing what you think of cooking on it.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've been wanting to try this. The method I was looking at involved a 55-gallon drum + a 30 gallon drum. 

Thanks for the post.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • LOL, naw. They know me and know my love for egging and doing weird things.