Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin wrapped in Bacon - when to pull off BGE?

Options
blakeas
blakeas Posts: 244
I pulled off the egg when it hit 135 and then let it rest for 10 minutes but when I went to cut it, it was still very pink.  it was at 140 when I cut it.  It did not seem done.  Should I have pulled it when it was 145?  perplexed!

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    140 should be fine, was it pink from smoke? Smoke ring
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @blakeas‌, safe temp for pork is 145°. See link below. If the loin is wrapped in bacon, you can take the internal temperature higher without sacrificing the taste because the bacon helps Contain the juices. Keep in mind, safe temp isn't always the desired temp, It just means it's safe. Some people like stuff well done. Don't judge by color, judge by temp. If you like a little more texture and firmness just cook a little more to your liking. Most people have had it beat into their head about the dangers of undercooked pork so we've been eating shoe leather most of our lives. I was hesitant at first, but now I really love the full flavor of pork in the 145° range.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/dining/porks-safe-cooking-temperature-is-lowered.html?_r=1&
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming